Carrying a case? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via Skype™ to danhodge
Default Carrying a case?

Sorry for all the threads recently, i just have a lot of questions/worries that keep popping up, being a first time computer builder.

I was wondering what your views on carrying a case around are, or maybe some guidelines?

For example, can anything be damaged (processor comes to mind) just by carrying my case up and down the stairs?

Or if i want to take it to Uni with me in 2 years, should i take it apart for the car journey, and make sure each part is individually wrapped, or will it be okay as it is?

My main worry is that the processor could wiggle around a bit, and damage the gold connector things (totally forgotten the name), but since it is 'clamped down', i am hoping it is wiggle-proof.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but i suppose it is 'Hardware repairs prevention', which kind of fits in

Thanks again,
Danny

danhodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Carrying a case?

I'd be more worried about a large heat sink possibly "falling off" and damaging internal components. Some heat sinks screw the base of the heatsink on, but only hold the heat sink itself on by a few small plastic tabs.
That and loose hard drives... Make sure those are screwed in tight

Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
iFargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I would only worry if you have a tall or heavy heatsink that sticks out pretty far honestly.
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via Skype™ to danhodge

Hardrives are mounted in a place where it can't physically reach the rest of the motherboard, and it is the stock heatsink that comes with the i5 2500 - the smallest i have ever seen.

Is the processor not going to move around, then? For example, if the case is in the car boot, and we go over a speed bump...
danhodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Very unlikely really, Carrying a case really shouldnt cause any damage unless its got some extreme parts in it, (heavy heatsinks, watercooling gear or very expensive components)
Asuming its self built, you'll have a very good idea of what it can handle because you built it.

Speed bumps, really, shouldn't even bother it at all.

The CPU is pinned under a heatsink and engaged in dozens of diferent holes, its not going anywhere
Dingadilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Should have no problem. I can't tell you how many times I've had to transport computers when I worked in a shop for a living, never had any issues. Smaller heatsinks like the stock ones aren't that heavy and are secured very well as long as the brackets are clamped correctly.

If you are at all concerned about any loose parts in general however, I would place it on its side with the front of the mobo facing upwards if space allows.
thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
hikaricloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

yeah it should be fine.. I've toted mine around to a few friends houses and it's still living
Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
iFargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

You might consider putting it on a passenger or rear seat as opposed to the trunk (boot) because hard drives are fragile and hitting speed bumps with the pc bouncing around in the back might damage the drive even if it is bolted down securely. Hard drives are very fragile and should be treated as such
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
You might consider putting it on a passenger or rear seat as opposed to the trunk (boot) because hard drives are fragile and hitting speed bumps with the pc bouncing around in the back might damage the drive even if it is bolted down securely. Hard drives are very fragile and should be treated as such
Anytime I moved my tower, I strapped it into the front seat with a seat belt, haha.
thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
hikaricloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

Moving around the computer is perfectly fine long as everything is screwed down and installed properly. I have been going to LANs since 2003 with various cooling setups and everything was fine. Now that I have a closed loop water setup and an SSD I kind of toss it around now.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote