CardBus problem. Wireless card connectivity. Frustrated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PharmD

Solid State Member
I am having a bit of difficulty getting my new Linksys Wireless G cardbus wireless card to work in my fiance's laptop. I installed the drivers and when plugging the card in it doesn't seem to recognize the card. It doesn't pop up a new hardware dialogue box and the power on the card doesn't turn on. I thought it might be the card but it works in my laptop with no problems.

My next test was to look in the device manager and see if there was either a newer driver for the Cardbus slot or whether it was functioning properly. It says, "This device is working properly." so I am at a bit of a loss as to what the problem could be.

I thought it might be because I had a D-Link card in there a while back until it broke, so I uninstalled those drivers and reinstalled the Linksys drivers, thinking that might be why it doesn't recognize it but still no luck. Is there anything else I can do? Maybe I am missing something here.

I would uninstall any drivers you have for the device, then install the drivers from the CD or manuf. website BEFORE inserting the card.

I would uninstall any drivers you have for the device, then install the drivers from the CD or manuf. website BEFORE inserting the card.

Yeah I did that but realized that I don't have the CD's for this older laptop anymore. Dell's site is useless, they have about 12 updates and they don't specify really which one is a driver and which one is just a regular update. i am downloading what i think are the drivers now and I'll test that out.

Let us know if that works, if not give us the model number of the card in question and your OS and we can find it for you.

Let us know if that works, if not give us the model number of the card in question and your OS and we can find it for you.

Went into bios and made sure that I could still turn on my wireless connection via the Fn + F2 key and it was already on so again I have hit a dead end. The card is a WPC-54GX Linksys WPC54GX adapter Adapters/NIC reviews - CNET Reviews and is being run on Windows XP. I spoke with support from both Dell and Linksys but you know how **** retarded they can be. If they asked me whether I put the card in the slot correctly one more time they were going to get a backhand through the monitor.

I am really thinking it has something to do with that cardbus slot, but again device manager says it is working properly and when i plug the card in, there is nothing that says found new hardware.

Anybody? I can't find out why my **** Cardbus is not recognizing the card, yet says it is working properly. Any help?

Have you tried the D-Link card in an other computer to verify is bad or not? It could very be the cardbus slot is bad.

Have you tried the D-Link card in an other computer to verify is bad or not? It could very be the cardbus slot is bad.

If the cardbus slot was bad though why would device manager say it is working properly? And I have used a d-link card in there before. The new one is a linksys and it works in my other laptop.

The cardbus adapter can show up as working properly while fail to supply the proper voltages to any card plugged into it. That's why I asked if the D-Link card works on another computer.

The cardbus adapter can show up as working properly while fail to supply the proper voltages to any card plugged into it. That's why I asked if the D-Link card works on another computer.

Oh I see what you are saying. Yeah the card works fine. Is there a way I can check to see if the cardbus is indeed the problem? I can open up the laptop if need be, just have no idea how to test whether there is something wrong with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom