Can't write to or from removable drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Can't write to or from removable drive

Hi folks,first time poster,I have a maxtor 250gb usb drive that shows all data on the drive,can play mp3s and videos from it but when I try to transfer anything to or from my c drive the lights dim on the front of the usb drive and the data does not transfer. It has also caused some freezing when running programs from the c drive,when I turn the usb drive off the program loads right away. I also formatted recently and windows loading stuck at the windows setup screen until I unplugged the usb drive,then windows loading proceeded normally.Thanks,great forum!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Can't write to or from removable drive

Where are you plugging in the drive? If the lights are dimming it sounds like the drive isn't getting enough power. Is it a USB or self powered drive?

Closed Thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On