Can't use onboard sound for P5B-VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

goo_lu

Solid State Member
I'd installed a PC based on ASUS P5B-VM motherboard (E4300 CPU, 2GB RAM, 1 SATAII HDD, 1 DVD-RW, 1 DVD-ROM). To keep the cost of build low, I determined not installing extra display & sound cards and use existing low speakers (just 2 already working loud speakers) . Installation of Windows XP ran smooth until I found that there was no sound coming out from the powered on loud speakers (even Windows XP booted up successfully). Also, from XP control panel -> Sound & Audio device, XP seemed doesn't detect sound & audio device at all.

What's worse, when I tried install SoundMAX drivers from service support CD came with ASUS motherboard. Installation couldn't complete. The error message was "The HDA Audio bus driver is required and not found".

I would like to ask is ASUS tailored made audio driver was needed to onboard sound to work ? If so, what's the meaning of that error message (PS: all hardware & driver disk were original from ASUS dealer). Do I need to install additional XP service pack to eliminate the above error message & make SoundMAX installation proceeded ?

:confused:

First please go to:

Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager

Look under sound, video and multimedia devices and see if there is any unidentified sound device that is not working properly, or has an exclamation or question mark on the icon next to it. If so, disregard the next paragraph.

If you cannot see the audio device in the device manager, it is probably disabled in the BIOS. Every BIOS is different so you'll have to navigate it yourself and ensure that something like Reltek Audio Accelerator is enabled. Save and exit and Windows will hopefully detect the hardware when it reboots.

Once it's enabled in the BIOS, try installing the device through the device manager (right click device > update driver), put in the CD and it should install automatically (scan automatically for drivers). If that fails and you receive the same error, you probably need this HDA bus driver and I would contact Asus support, but be warned, their support is horrible

First please go to:

Look under sound, video and multimedia devices and see if there is any unidentified sound device that is not working properly, or has an exclamation or question mark on the icon next to it. If so, disregard the next paragraph.

If you cannot see the audio device in the device manager, it is probably disabled in the BIOS. Every BIOS is different so you'll have to navigate it yourself and ensure that something like Reltek Audio Accelerator is enabled. Save and exit and Windows will hopefully detect the hardware when it reboots.

Once it's enabled in the BIOS, try installing the device through the device manager (right click device > update driver), put in the CD and it should install automatically (scan automatically for drivers). If that fails and you receive the same error, you probably need this HDA bus driver and I would contact Asus support, but be warned, their support is horrible

Every audio setting just follows default as mentioned in manual

http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5B-VM/e2642p5b-vm.pdf
section 2.4.5 Onboard Devices Configuration. Also, it seems the SoundMAX utility included in support CD is just an enhanced feature for 8-channel audio capability (manual section 3.3.1 SoundMAX® High Definition Audio utility), not a pre-requisite for sound to be fed from on board sound circuit to loud speaker (PS: I had connected the loud speaker input to Line Out port as indicated in manual section 1.10.1, page 1-28).

First please go to:

Every audio setting just follows default as mentioned in manual http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5B-VM/e2642p5b-vm.pdf
section 2.4.5 Onboard Devices Configuration.

Also, it seems the SoundMAX utility included in support CD is just an enhanced feature for 8-channel audio capability (manual section 3.3.1 SoundMAX® High Definition Audio utility), not a pre-requisite for sound to be fed from on board sound circuit to loud speaker (PS: I had connected the loud speaker input to Line Out port as indicated in manual section 1.10.1, page 1-28).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom