MB: Sabertooth Z77
CPU: i5-3570K
SSD: Samsung 830 256GB
Cooler: CoolerMaster V8
GPU: EVGA GTX 660 Superclocked
Ram: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3
PSU: Corsair HX 750
Windows 7

All of a sudden a couple of days ago while playing CS:GO my screen would go black every 5 minutes or so. It would stay black for a few seconds then come back to the game and my FPS went from 120 to 30. I had to exit the game to fix it. Sometimes it would tell me the display driver crashed.

I then uninstalled all nvidia drivers from the control panel and used driver sweeper in safe mode to clean anything out. I downloaded the newest drivers and installed them. When I went to reset my computer I got the same issues as before except it happened after the windows logo appeared and before the login screen should have appeared.. the whole computer just goes blank. They keyboard is not responsive and the only fix is to press the reset button the computer.

Here is what I've tried so far:

- Clean installation of Windows 7 after deleting the existing partition - same errors after installing all the chipsets again and trying to do update nvidia drivers.
- Chkdsk from the windows CD - no errors reported
- Let memtest run overnight - no errors reported
- Ran combofix - no errors reported
- Tried scannow /sfc - no errors reported
- Tried booting with just 1 ram stick each and I got the same errors on both sticks

All of the fans continue to run when this happens.. is it just a bad graphics card or something? I have run out of ideas..

Try lowering the clocks on the card. I remember I had troubles very similar to this on my old GTX 285.

Lowering the clocks and adjusting fan speeds. Make sure the card isn't overheating, too.

EDIT: I should read more. So you're saying you can't get the drivers to install at all, even on a brand new installation of Windows 7?

What version are you installing? It might be worth trying the absolute latest beta drivers. If that doesn't work, try older versions of the driver.

Last edited:
Hi Fargle. I managed to get the drivers installed from the EVGA cd but it still won't play games or do anything graphically intensive. Still get the same dead response. I tried upgrading to a lot of other past versions and got the same thing. I'm not sure how to lower the clocks or adjust the fan speed.. any ideas?

I just went out and bought new 2 sticks of ram with the same speed because I heard if the ram is bad my new windows installation could have been corrupted. Going to try to do a clean install with this new ram to test. If this is not it going to do the same thing except go out and buy another video card =/

Download and install this.

NVIDIA DRIVERS 5.05.54.00

The settings will be in the nVidia control panel

What I recommend:
Lower the clocks by a reasonable amount (maybe 20% to start out with) and push the fan to 90-100% and start a graphically intense game up. It'll be loud, but it's only a temporary test. If it doesn't crash then it's one of two things: The clocks are too high for the card OR it's over heating. Monitor temperatures closely (Use this program: CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting)

Back
Top Bottom