Can't update my BIOS

dkingman

Baseband Member
Recently bought a 970ssc, it worked fine for a few days then started artifacting and freezing my pc, I plugged my old 7970 in and it was fine. Sent the card back to Scan computers who tested for 24 hours and found no fault and then recommended that it could be my BIOS needs updating which has brought me here.

Trying to update my latest gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3 mobo BIOS and no idea how. I tried auto executing the file and get the error "incompatible with 64 bit versions of windows" but I downloaded the 64 bit version. I also tried dropping the files onto my cdrive but when I enter q flash and hit the install from drive it doesn't recognise anything. I also tried putting onto a USB stick (fat32) and still nothing (no drive found) when I go into the BIOS and try to run it.

Some help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
What BIOS version are you currently on? What board revision are you on (very important!)

To check your board revision, look in the bottom corners of your motherboard for a "rev 1.0" or a "rev 2.0" and make sure you select the correct board revision on Gigabyte's site.

The latest on Gigabyte's site is F5 for rev 1.0; latest legacy BIOS for rev 2.0 is FE, and there's also a beta UEFI BIOS, but I'd recommend just sticking with the Legacy version (prefixed by "F").

You can check what version you're currently on by clicking Start -> type "msinfo32" (without quotes) -> on the 'System summary' section, find "BIOS Version/Date" and look for a number prefixed with "F".

And here's Gigabyte's instructions on how to update the BIOS:
http://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/HowToReflashBIOS.html

My Bios isn't the latest and it's a revison1 mobo. I downloaded the correct BIOS but still get the message not able to run on 64 windows.

I'm not sure if this applies to me as I can't find how to access it in BIOS - 2."If your BIOS is flash protected, please do not enable BIOS Flash Protection under Advanced CMOS Setup (AMI BIOS) or Advanced BIOS Features (AWARD BIOS) in BIOS menu".

Are you running the @BIOS utility within Windows to update the BIOS?

It sounds like you're trying to run the DOS utility from within Windows, which won't work.

You motherboard does support Q-Flash, which should make updating the bios from within the bios with a USB stick.
Here's a guide, You should insert the USB stick before you boot into the bios
http://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/images/utility_qflash.pdf
From GIGABYTE's website, download the latest compressed BIOS update file that matches your motherboard model.
2.Extract the file and save the new BIOS file (e.g. Z68XPUD4.F1) to your USB flash drive, or hard drive.
Note: The USB flash drive or hard drive must use FAT32/16/12 file system.
3.Restart the system. During the POST, press the <End> key to enter Q-Flash. Note: You can access Q-Flash by either pressing the <End> key during the POST or pressing the <F8> key in BIOS Setup.
However, if the BIOS update file is saved to a hard drive in RAID/AHCI mode or a hard drive attached to
an independent SATA controller, use the <End> key during the POST to access Q-Flas

I did all that. I put it on my c drive and usb stick. It just says no drive found after I enter bios and press f8.

You did this?
Format your USB stick from windows and make it a FAT 32 file
Click on the bios downloaded file on your hard drive from Gigabyte and when it asks where to extract, have extract to the USB stick
Extract the file and save the new BIOS file (e.g. Z68XPUD4.F1) to your USB flash drive
From within the Bios, go to the Q-Flash utility and see if the USB drive is recognized in there
The arrow keys on your keyboard should work from the bios, to find the Q-Flash

Last edited:
I did that as well. I go into BIOS q flash etc and it says no drive found. I also tried putting it directly onto my c drive.

What message did you get when you extracted the file? Can you open the file and see something like P67DFUD3.F5?
I think I have a bios file on a USB stick for another board from Gigabyte, I'll check to see what's in it

You should have a file on the USB drive....looks like this one but your should have different numbers/letters
EwTZdRy.jpg

eh... it's for an ASUS board.
This is a different extracted file
2an7yeh.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom