can't see hdd in caddy on win7

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurph

In Runtime
I have new pc with win7, and have tried to connect a 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 HDD using caddy, thru USB, so that I can copy old files from it.
An older 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax lus 9 ATA/133 HDD connects, with jumper at cable select.
The Seagate, using same jumper settings, audibly connects, and shows up in disk management as "Dynamic" and "Invalid" below, and doesn't assign a letter.
I haver tried other jumper settings with same result.

Any ideas?

Have you tried connecting it directly to your machine via SATA cable? Using another machine? It could also be a defective drive, I have experienced this in the past and it ended up being a defective HDD.

Don't have a sata cable, tho will chk. It was working in other Pc last night, so works elsewhere and likely not defective.

Try using a live linux disk - it may well just be a windows issue. I've had this problem myself - the disk manager prvided with Ubuntu 9 live disk worked fine for me.

If you still have trouble mounting the disk that way, use the shell on linux to force mount it, or just hook it into another computer and transfer files via network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom