can't see hdd in caddy on win7 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Question can't see hdd in caddy on win7

I have new pc with win7, and have tried to connect a 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 HDD using caddy, thru USB, so that I can copy old files from it.
An older 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax lus 9 ATA/133 HDD connects, with jumper at cable select.
The Seagate, using same jumper settings, audibly connects, and shows up in disk management as "Dynamic" and "Invalid" below, and doesn't assign a letter.
I haver tried other jumper settings with same result.

Any ideas?

AMD Phenom II X4 965, Mobo: Biostar A880G+ c/w onboard Graphics & Sound, RAM: 8Gb DDR2, HDDs 2+2+4Tb, Monitor 24"
Using: Win10 64bit with Trend Micro TMS
Old 06-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: can't see hdd in caddy on win7

Have you tried connecting it directly to your machine via SATA cable? Using another machine? It could also be a defective drive, I have experienced this in the past and it ended up being a defective HDD.

What a world, what a world...
Old 06-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Don't have a sata cable, tho will chk. It was working in other Pc last night, so works elsewhere and likely not defective.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Try using a live linux disk - it may well just be a windows issue. I've had this problem myself - the disk manager prvided with Ubuntu 9 live disk worked fine for me.

If you still have trouble mounting the disk that way, use the shell on linux to force mount it, or just hook it into another computer and transfer files via network.
Closed Thread