Can't run scandsk on my C drive... need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyw

Solid State Member
Hi,

Ever since I installed a RAID 5 card (and I've uninstalled it since) when the PC reboots to run scandisk (or the program you run from the drive's property->tools) it still says that it can not get exclusive access to my drive.

I am in the process of upgrading from XP to win7 (or I guess I should say 'installing' win7 as this requires a fresh install). I've cleared my C drive and I plan to format it during the win7 install (I've already done this on my notebook... I get a lot of you can't do this or that but I'm just following the win7 upgrade instructions from MS).

Dumb question: Will a disk format accomplish the same that as scandisk? If not, then I definitely want to run scandisk but am not sure how but I certainly do not want to run it before I format and after the upgrade its a whole new ball game so maybe it will work.

Thanks for any advise!
Rusty

Hi,

Dumb question: Will a disk format accomplish the same that as scandisk? If not, then I definitely want to run scandisk but am not sure how but I certainly do not want to run it before I format and after the upgrade its a whole new ball game so maybe it will work.

Thanks for any advise!
Rusty

Technically no, if you need to check your hdd's for any problems before upgrading use a dos based hard drives suite.
Seagate,western digital and others have utitlity's where you can check, zero filled, and check the tempatures of the hard drives...
It will do more than windows scan disk half the time and save you from any potential nightmares...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom