Can't run 4 sticks. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

J9Darkwing

Baseband Member
Salute!

I have an Asus P5n32 sli motherboard, q6600 processer and 4gig (4x 1gig) of Crucial ballistix ram. bl12864AA804
For some reason my computer wants to crash if I put all four sticks in. Runs fine with 2 or three in any slot configuration but anytime I put all four in it wants to give me the bsod.
I've raised the NB voltage and the Mem voltage but it doesn't seem to help. I can switch out 2 for 2 on the ram and it works the same so that's telling me it's not that I have a bad stick.
I have NOTHING overclocked or overvoltaged now. OV didn't seem to make a difference so why run my stuff hot if it wasn't going to help? I would like to OC everything but I'll worry about that after I get this memory thing licked.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Updated bios, which I hate doing with Asus boards cause of all the hassle, and now all four sticks are working. Running memtest now.

It does have asus update and everytime I've used it, EVERY TIME, it ends up screwing something up. I ran Asus update last night and my computer wouldn't even post so I had to do the jumper thing and remove the battery just to get it to post. Then it would post but had my 2.4ghz q6600 set at 1.5ghz and I had to change it. Then windows wouldn't boot. So I dropped back from bios version 1601 to 15xx and it worked. I had to do this through the bios since windows wouldn't boot. Fortunately I have a laptop so I downloaded the other bios from the net and put them on a flash drive which allowed me to retro the bios.

oh man, your still on that board!!! i feel sorry for your soul

i rememberwheni owned that.. and me and you were bouncing along trying to oc together... i moved on to the 680i from evga shortly after :p

If you have more than 3 gigs you have to install an update for Vista 64-bit. Plug in 2 sticks, find the update, shutdown, and then put all 4 sticks in.

If you have more than 3 gigs you have to install an update for Vista 64-bit. Plug in 2 sticks, find the update, shutdown, and then put all 4 sticks in.

no that is not the problem... his computer is crashing from running 4 sticks.. ur computer would still run under 32 bit with 4b.. just only 3.5gbs would be addressed...

try putting all 4 sticks in, and setting the ram voltage to 2.0 or 2.1 and see if that fixes it

running all 4 dimms will require more voltage to the ram

I remember NosBoost. I got married and bought a house all in the past few months so I don't really have the coin to toss on a new board but trust me in that when I do get ready for a new rig I'm going to come here and ask some questions. lol
I'll never do Asus again.
Just as an afterthought though. . . Boards aren't too terribly expensive. Which board would you recommend to go with my Q6600. I just bought an x-fi sound card and am getting a blueray dvd player for Christmas from the wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom