Can't remove XP Pro partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaranth

Beta member
I'm having trouble removing an XP partition from my hard drive. XP installed fine, then during an NT update installation Wndows stopped working. It would load up Windows then tell me that NT was shutting down my pc and re-booting (which it did after about 30 seconds). This repeated every time it restarted. I then booted up using my old hard drive with the same version of XP installed with the new drive as a slave. When I checked the new drive it had gone from a 160gb drive to 34gb drive, the reading was the same in the bios. However, after formatting the drive the bios gave the size as 160gb, but Windows was reading it as 149gb. I have tried to re-install XP on the new drive but it tells me that this is not possible as I already have windows installed on a partition on the drive already. I don't know how to remove the partition as formatting the drive has no effect on it. Hopefully I've just not done something simlple that I was unaware of. Can some please help with this very annoying problem?

Specs:
VIA P4M900-M4 P4 socket 478 motherboard
Intel P4 Celeron
1GB DDR2 Ram
Nvidia Geforce 8400gs 512MB graphics card
40GB Western Digital IDE hard drive (working)
160GB Maxtor IDE hard drive (not working due to partition problem)
3Connect Mobile Broadband USB Dongle

In XP's installation thing, you just go into the partition manager and delete the partition. Then make a new partition, and install into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom