Can't read HDD. Inpage Operation. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Can't read HDD. Inpage Operation.

Some of you may of read my problem in the Operating System forums : http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/won...ci-sys-205520/

Well I got my new HDD today, hooked it up, partitioned and installed XP, it works great.

Went into my computer to try and access my old HDD to transfer data and get the error message "E:\ is not accessible performing an inpage operation"

Tried the cmd "chkdisk E: /r" and it won't get all the way through the test, it stops after stage 2. Please tell me there's some way I can possibly retrieve my data off my HDD.

RAM: 2GB DDR2-800 Corsair RAM
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700W
SPU: X-FI XTreme Music
HDD: 10,000RPM 150GB Raptor

All in a Thermaltake Armor
Got a few LEDs too...
Old 04-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Can't read HDD. Inpage Operation.

Sounds like you're screwed. If you know Linux you should be able to use PCopy or the sort to try to get as much data off of the drive as possible on to a new good drive.

You may also go to the drive manufacturers web site and see if they have any data recovery software you can use.

For something like that my shop uses a $1300 YEC Ninja device, but I doubt you want to spend that kind of money.

Basically you want to find a piece of software that will do a bit for bit recovery from the old hard drive to a new medium. You probably wont get everything off, but you'll get the data up to the point of the corruption on the hard drive.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
AKA ComatoseClown

Send a message via AIM to H4x3r Send a message via MSN to H4x3r

if the hard drive itself isn't bad, you should be able to boot up a linux live distro like backtrack or knoppix (i like backtrack because it's loaded with forensics material and all sorts of other goodies)

Remote-Exploit.org - Supplying offensive security products to the world

then read the contents and copy to an external hdd or burn to cd/dvd. If the hard drive is physically dead then you would have to either replace the bad part (assuming it's the PCB and not platter/head) to get it working again, or take it to a data recovery site which can be very costly.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Well the HDD got a lot worse. To the point I can't run it in a raid to even try to access it. So i'm assuming a data recovery place is the only option now, as the freezer trick didn't work.

Oh well, I'll stick it in an anti-static bag and put it in the closet for a rainy day. Maybe i'll get the stuff off there one day, as there is a lot of stuff I'd like to get off, but none of it is really urgent.

Thanks for the help guys.
RAM: 2GB DDR2-800 Corsair RAM
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700W
SPU: X-FI XTreme Music
HDD: 10,000RPM 150GB Raptor

All in a Thermaltake Armor
Got a few LEDs too...
Closed Thread