Can't Install Windows to Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

waytoosmall

In Runtime
I wanted to try out vista so I bought another hard drive. I copied my entire raid array to a new sata hard drive using drive copy by Norton. I then installed Vista on my raid array and was planning just to change the boot priority in the bios depending on which one I wanted to boot up. Well, the xp drive immediateley stopped working and would just stall during boot. So now I am just trying to reinstall windows xp on that drive. The bios sees the drive, and when boot to the windows cd, I make sure not to load the raid array drivers that could cause me to inadvertantly install windows onto my raid array. But when I get the screen to show me which partition to install onto, the new drive is not there. In fact, no drive is there. It shows 2 drives that say "no disk inserted". How can I get this done? I just want xp on one drive and to keep my Vista install on my raid array. Thank you so much for any help you can provide.

p.s. Should I have put this post into the Windows thread? If so just let me know and I will delete this one and repost it there.

I thought the only time you had to do that is when you were using a raid array. When it is just a single SATA drive, you shouldn't need to load drivers for windows to see it.

depends upon the age of the board. I have to install sata drivers on mine. most newer boards I have built recognize sata drives with no 3rd party drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom