"Maybe I should try a new cd drive."
yea, thats probably it...
how far in the install do you get?
1. it says to set up windows press enter
2. then f8 to agree to the uela
3. after that is asks which partition to use (I suggest deleting the previous partition)
4. then it will format(do a quick ntfs format)
5. when it's done formating... it will begin copying files for the setup(before it restarts and loads the colorful setup screen)
6. after that, the colorful blue screen will come up, and the setup will continue
I have had similar problems as you are haveing on step 5
(sorry if I left out any steps)
what I did, was put the hard drive into another computer, Installed windows on it, then put it back into the first computer, and did a repair to make all the drivers work
explained in this thread:
there is most likely an easier way, but I can't think of it...
if you have problems in step 6, I'd say it's the cd