Can't Install Operating System - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Unhappy Can't Install Operating System

Recently I have been having freezing problems with my computer, so I tried to format the hard drive and reinstall windows XP Home. When I put in the desk it tells me that it is missing a file and that this is a "fatal error". It keeps saying that it is restarting setup, but it just keeps saying that it is missing a file "fatal error", also I was told that you format your hard drive with the windows XP disk is this correct? I don't know if I have a virus on my computer or something. If anyone can help me solve this problem I would apperciate it.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Can't Install Operating System

Quote:
Originally posted by john2562
Recently I have been having freezing problems with my computer, so I tried to format the hard drive and reinstall windows XP Home. When I put in the desk it tells me that it is missing a file and that this is a "fatal error". It keeps saying that it is restarting setup, but it just keeps saying that it is missing a file "fatal error", also I was told that you format your hard drive with the windows XP disk is this correct? I don't know if I have a virus on my computer or something. If anyone can help me solve this problem I would apperciate it.
Try asking one of your friends for their xp disk, it could be that yours in courrput or something

Old 11-07-2005, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to dipique

Check the back of your CD to make sure there aren't any scratches or areas that are dirty. Then, try deleting your partition then creating a new one (don't choose the fast way) that is NTFS.

Dan
Old 11-07-2005, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Field Engineer

Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

There are many factors to corrupt files during an install. Try one of the following in this order:

- Use a known good XP disk
- Use a known good CD-ROM drive
- Replace the IDE cable with a known good
- Remove any cards on the PCI bus
- Run memtest86 (sig for download) to check for memory errors

Post back results please.

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 11-08-2005, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for your help. I think it could be the XP disk. Unfortunatly I would have to buy another XP disk just to see if that solves the problem.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

Were you attempting to reinstall windows from the desk top or from the cd at boot?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by john2562
Thanks for your help. I think it could be the XP disk. Unfortunatly I would have to buy another XP disk just to see if that solves the problem.
if you own the license key, then just download one...

as long as you own/\ then it should be legal
Old 11-08-2005, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by RicoDirenzo
Were you attempting to reinstall windows from the desk top or from the cd at boot?
From the CD.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

i'm going to assume you have a poorly copied pirate CD or your hard drive has bad sectors.. Missing file errors are caused by one of the two.

best thing to do if you have a Copy of an xp cd is go and buy a real one, better support in the longrun, and you can upgrade to sp3 when it's released without a hitch

can also be a bad cd drive, or loose cables.. Sometimes memory.. but generally system won't boot/randomly restarts when memory is bad.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

have you recieved any BSOD's? sometimes freezing and format/install problems are caused by failing IDE drives. i know on more than one occasion i have tried to run a clean install because of problems with the OS (not real problems apparently :O) and then had a ****load of problems re-installing and formatting. these problems eventually came down to a failing optical drive or hdd.

Closed Thread