cant get surround sound working - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default cant get surround sound working

ok, so my motherboard came with the digital output, so i hooked up my samsung surround sound to it, ad just the front 2 speakers worked, and the bass. not center, or rears. so i wnt out and bought the rockfish 5.1 sound card hoping that would fix it and let me use the surround. nope. hooked it up using the digital thing, and same thing, only the front 2. but i have these crappy logitech 5,1 speakers, but one is broke, so it looks like crap and cant position it good at all. i mean, it works with these speakers, but i would really like my real ones better.

so is there anything i can do? do home theater surrounds not work as computer speakers at all? or am i doing something wrong?? i think if i cant get the other speakers to work, im just gonna take the card back and have it how i had it. or maybe keep the card since i can mess with an equalizer for the whole computer. but still go back to the others. cuz i dont like these crappy speakers.

EDIT: sorry, i just saw the audio section i shouldve put this in there.. sorry. maybe it can be moved?

Old 08-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: cant get surround sound working

When you installed the card did you also install the software? You should have an Audio Manager that will allow you to specify the type of speakers you have.

I'm just using the built-in audio thats on my motherboard but you should have something similar.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

yeah, mines kinda like that, the rocketfish thing... a lil different. but when i have it set to 5.1, only the front 2 make the noise. it still tests the other ones, but theres no noise out of them. i could either do where a person is saying "front right" and all that, but i dont hear the center or rears, and i could have just static noise going through each speaker, but again, only the fronts... and when i go through the computers software, it only gives me 2 channel options. no 5 at all.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Try taking out the speaker cords in the sound card ports, and connect it one by one. It should come up with a window each time, asking you what it is. I ran into this many times with a Realtek.
__________________ Steam Account
Old 08-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

the ones i have right now, the logitech, has the 3 plugs, but not the other. its just the digital thing. the cord that the lazer goes through or whatever. the one with th red light.

so right now i have the green black and orange or whatever plugged in. and that worked fine, but its not good quality cuz logitech, and it looks back cuz ones broken. but my other surround sound is just the digital cord. or optical. that what its called. the optical cord. i think.... i dont see a picture of it on slaymates picture... but i used it in the back of my ps3, and i know the xbox 360 has it on the cord that goes to the tv. whichever one that is
Closed Thread