Can't get SLI to work - Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
SLI is between two GFX cards, no matter how many screens. Would you happen to have the current NVIDIA Control Panel software. Just my 2 cents.

GFX? Does it have to be GFX? Cause I only have GT's installed. And on the box it says they are SLI ready..

I'll check and see if I can get a newer version of the nvidia control panel, though I think I already do.

Yes, both the Windows Device Manger and Nvidia Control panel says they're up to date.

And yes, I had both cards installed into the computer when I updated the drivers. Should I do it one at a time? Or should it not matter?

I have two GeForce 9800 GT's, one's 1024 MB and the other is 512 MB.

That's your problem, I could be wrong but I don't think so. You need (2) 1024 MB cards or (2) 512 MB cards, the cards have to be the same. You can use (2) 9800 GT's with different clock speeds because the speeds are adjustable. But you just can't remove 512 MB's of memory to make the cards equal.

Hmm... I didn't think that would be a problem, but I'll take your word for it. Now, I gotta figure out if I should buy another 1024 MB card, or the 512.

Also, another thing: My 9800 GT's don't hook into my power supply. For whatever reason, the PNY type don't, but the manual shows that it can. When I went to Best Buy for the newer card, the guy said I needed a new power supply, at least a 600 watt one for the two cards (I still have my 400w)... but I'm wondering, since they don't connect to the power supply at all, do I need my 600 watt supply?

Slay, i looked into that, and folks on the interwebz said they'd work, even with the memory differences.

Hmmmmmmm, you have 2 "green" cards... they still say you can sli them...

Maybe Slays correct, certain type are memory specific.

The psu shouldn't stop you from sli'n, but you might run out of power gaming.

It could very well be the "green card" design that's screwing it up. Only so much power can be funneled through a pci-e slot. And yes, you'll still need more than a 400 watt power supply.

Okay, I went out and bought another 1024MB 9800GT card.

I installed it and booted up to the desktop, to which then I was welcomed with a "This system is SLI capable" message. I really appreciate all the help guys. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom