can't get nvidia drivers working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calzinger

Beer
I just got a new build running Vista x64, got an eVGA GTX 260 Core 216 with it. But every time I install the video drivers, after restarting, I get a BSOD every time before the logon screen usually appears. The BSOD says "SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION", 0x000003b.

I can restart in safe mode and roll back the drivers so I can login normally. But every time I install an nVidia driver (tried quite a number of different versions, including the one on the CD that the card came with), it BSODs exactly the same way.

I've searched the net quite a bit without finding a solution. It seems only a few people are having the same problem, none of which found a solution. It's a bit hard to search for since the "System Service Exception" error doesn't really point anywhere too specific.

Ideas? The computer is pretty useless without video drivers...

I've tried resetting the BIOS though I'm not sure if I have to change a specific setting for the PCI-E slot or something. I'm pretty clueless.

Build is:
ASRock X58 Extreme
Intel Core i7 920
eVGA GTX 260 Core 216
OCZ Gold 2x3GB DDR3 1600
OCZ ModXStream 700w

have you also installed the newest chipset drivers for your motherboard?

Are you ensuring that you are installing the 64bit and not 32bit drivers?

Yes to both, didn't make a difference.

I've now tried it on Windows 7 x64, and it still doesn't work. It doesn't BSOD upon logon, but in the device manager, the video card errors out: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

I'm tempted to try x86, but I didn't buy 6gb of RAM for fun.

You should try some other Windows versions. Try putting the card in the other PCI-E x16 slot. Make sure the power cable is properly connected to the card. Try BIOS default settings.

If you keep getting it on a clean Windows install, RMA the card.

You should try some other Windows versions. Try putting the card in the other PCI-E x16 slot. Make sure the power cable is properly connected to the card. Try BIOS default settings.

If you keep getting it on a clean Windows install, RMA the card.
Well I tried Windows 7 x64 and Windows Vista x64 which are the only two OSes I'm considering running (the former preferable to the latter).

I'm pretty sure it's the card now. There are now red dots scattered across the screen that do not appear when I connect my 6800GT. Red dots across the screen can only mean a faulty video card, right?

I'm kinda bummed since this means I'll have to wait over a week from now before I'll get a replacement. I've never had any experience with Newegg's RMA process. Anyone know if they're usually good about these things?

Well I tried Windows 7 x64 and Windows Vista x64 which are the only two OSes I'm considering running (the former preferable to the latter).

I'm pretty sure it's the card now. There are now red dots scattered across the screen that do not appear when I connect my 6800GT. Red dots across the screen can only mean a faulty video card, right?

I'm kinda bummed since this means I'll have to wait over a week from now before I'll get a replacement. I've never had any experience with Newegg's RMA process. Anyone know if they're usually good about these things?

yep, it's the card. it's bad. my old 8500GT did this.

Wow OK, just tried a BFG 8400 GS and got the SAME EXACT BSOD problem! (no red dots though)

As previously mentioned, after installing the nVidia drivers (seems to be the same with any version), I get prompted to restart and then it BSODs (SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION) right before the windows login screen (windows loading splash is still displayed). I get the same problem with a GTX 260 216 and an 8400GS. I've had the same problem on Vista x64, Vista x86, and Windows 7 x64.

I'm basically going insane trying to troubleshoot this. I'm not about to go RMA'ing every **** part.

I desperately need help at this point and would greatly appreciate some help. I don't want to resort to Geek Squad or something.

Would you believe this nonsense? Epic "hyper-threading" fail...
Disabled it and everything is running fine now. I must be a big idiot. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom