cant get my data off my backup drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK thanks for all the help, and Mak213, sorry I started the second thread my mistake. When I turn the drive on, in the portable enclosure, windows sees the device. I get the tone, then "safe to remove hardware" notice. But I can not see the drive in windows anywhere. I see the device in device manager, but that's it.

I had a friend over last night that's a pretty sharp IT type, basically I messed up. I'm still learning. My hard drive was in a portable enclosure, and I used it as my back up on my computer and my wives. Well I guess one time I disconnected it from the computer before it was ready, and didn't use the "safe to remove hardware". I thought I could just remove it when I was done, but as my friend explained, and I'm sure you all know, if you disconnect it before the drive is done accessing files and such, it leaves the boot sector messed up some how, and then you cant access it. Which is where I am. So my friend told me he has fixed this same problem before, basically a bad boot sector. HE staid he hooks it up to one of his computers with some recovery software, that will run for a day or so searching and recovering all the files, transfers them to his hard drive, formats mine, then , then puts my files back on my drive. I don't know what software he uses, I'll have to ask him next time.

OK thanks for all the help, and Mak213, sorry I started the second thread my mistake. When I turn the drive on, in the portable enclosure, windows sees the device. I get the tone, then "safe to remove hardware" notice. But I can not see the drive in windows anywhere. I see the device in device manager, but that's it.

I had a friend over last night that's a pretty sharp IT type, basically I messed up. I'm still learning. My hard drive was in a portable enclosure, and I used it as my back up on my computer and my wives. Well I guess one time I disconnected it from the computer before it was ready, and didn't use the "safe to remove hardware". I thought I could just remove it when I was done, but as my friend explained, and I'm sure you all know, if you disconnect it before the drive is done accessing files and such, it leaves the boot sector messed up some how, and then you cant access it. Which is where I am. So my friend told me he has fixed this same problem before, basically a bad boot sector. HE staid he hooks it up to one of his computers with some recovery software, that will run for a day or so searching and recovering all the files, transfers them to his hard drive, formats mine, then , then puts my files back on my drive. I don't know what software he uses, I'll have to ask him next time.

wives^ :p

I always un-safely remove my disks; it shouldn't be too much of a problem when you are sure it has finished writing stuff. If it hasn't you may get an error message in Windows, saying it hasn't finished writing stuff.
I do not see why the boot sector would get damaged. This sounds like nonsense to me. Windows does not randomly write to the boot sector, especially not on an external disk.

Well I'm just telling what my friend told me... He said he had another HD from one of our mutual friends that had the same problem, and he probably disconneted before using the "safely remove hardware", and it had boot sector problems also. And he ran some recovery software on it for a few days till it rebuilt all his files so he could ge them off.

I dont understand it either, I mean it sound like it would be too easy to mess up a portable hard drive if you disconnect it with out using the "safely remove" button. I would think everyone would be having that problem then. I cant be the only one that has disconnected their protable hard drive, when its done writing, without using the button. There must be a little more to it than that I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom