cant get my data off my backup drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runfox

In Runtime
I have a Hitachi 250GEIDE back up drive I am trying to get my files off of. I had it in a portable USB case,and it always worked fine, but after some windows problems it wont read anymore.I know the drive is good. When I use it in the case and plug in, windows finds the hardware but will not read it, I don't see the drive in my computer, I see it in devices, but all windows tells me is I need to format it .
I tried to install it in my computer to access it, but still not luck. I have an MSI K8N-NEO4-FI MB , running windows 7 64bit. I installed the drive and set the jumpers to slave. When I ran setup it saw it as the secondary slave, and my hard drive was the third master. I checked the hard drive order and my main drive was 1st M and the backup was 2nd S. So that all looks right. When I start my comp, it comes up to starting windows, but sits there, with the blue hard drive activity light solid, but windows never starts.
The data may be corrupted, I don't know how, but I cant believe I cant access the data somehow to get it off. Any suggestions would help.

Get a Ubuntu Boot-CD. Load up Ubuntu via CD. Linux can see some partitions that Windows can't. Give that a shot. ;)

If success, back the stuff up, and reformat the drive.

Ok so I download ubuntu, then make my CD the first boot, with Ubuntu CD in the CD, and boot from it, then I can access the files right? So As I'm down loading this, I am trying to figure what this is. It is an operating system I guess right? So I'll have to boot to it.

It's a Linux operating system that you can run from CD. Boot into the CD. No files will be harmed. It is sorely from the CD.

I down loaded Ubunu, copied it ti a disk, and ran it with CD boot first. It works fine with just my C:\ drive, I can try it first and see my files. My problem is when I plug my back up drive in I get the same results as before, even trying to go to Ubuntu, I hit the try first, and then screen goes blank with a blinking courser, the HD light is solid, but nothing happens. I don't know whats wrong with my back up drive, but my computer will not boot to any operating system with it plugged in. It's like it is trying to read it but, since it cant it just sits there trying. I guess the info is corrupted somehow, but I have pictures on it I cant give up on. I wonder if I try to format then recover the files with out installing anything on that drive??? Any suggestions? Maybe a recommend recovery software if I format so I can access the drive, that I can get the files back????

If no OS will boot, not even a liveCD of an OS, with that drive connected you dont have to many options. You will have to get an external drive enclosure to see if you can at least get into an OS and then plug the drive in and see if you can access it. Until then there isnt many options. Cause a system that wont boot with the drive attached aint going to be able to run recovery software on it or access it at all.

Yeah I had the drive in a portable USB enclosure. But when I plug it in and turn it on, windows sees the device, ( safely remove hardware) but I cant see it in my computer. I see the device in devises and printers, but it wants me to format the device to access it.

Well if you format the hdd you will loose your files however you will gain access to your hdd.
The thing I am suspecting is a corrupted partition on your external hdd.

You have 2 things you can do:

1.Format the hdd and gain access but loose everything.

or

2.Or don't format at all and don't get anything.

I would suggest you do recuva but that wants a active partition hdd.
I tried that myself this week when my hdd died so I know it's a no go for you.

What does the Device Manager say about the hard drive when you have it attached? Does it show the hard drive but in RAW format? If it is then you have 2 choices.

1. You format the drive back into NTFS and use recovery software like Recuva
2. Try to find a tool that can recover the data from a RAW Drive. *NOTE* I have already searched and there is no free tools that will do this properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom