Can't get my 8800GTS to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJYelton

Baseband Member
Very new to this stuff so please bear with me if I'm missing something obvious. I went out recently and got my first hardcore video card and I can't get it up and running and hopefully someone here can help. I was running two GeForce 6800 GS's in SLI mode and went out and got a 8800 GTS 640MB card. Link to the item can be found here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122018

My PSU is 650W so I have enough power, when I install it the fan runs on the card just fine, but my monitor just never turns on. The monitor is connected tightly, theres two connections in the back and I've tried both, neither work. I don't know if its because I don't have the drivers installed or not, but I can't install the drivers from the CD that came with the card if the monitor doesn't even turn on to see what I'm doing! I've tried hooking back up the old 6800 GS's and then trying to install the drivers, but the installation package bombs because it can't find a card that can use the drivers. If I try to install one 6800 and the 8800 at the same time my computer makes a loud beep and crashes. My motherboard does not come with an on-board video card.

I'm out of ideas, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, my computer can't handle the card, or maybe I got a broken card.

Any help?? Thanks!!!

Heres my other info:

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2007-03-10
Time 01:09

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name GHX-D10C933216B
User Name James Yelton

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 3200+
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce4, AMD Hammer
System Memory 2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (10/03/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS (256 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS (256 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA NV41
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (0)
Monitor

BIOS Properties:
Vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version 6.00 PG
Release Date 10/03/2005
Size 512 KB
Boot Devices Floppy Disk, Hard Disk, CD-ROM, ATAPI ZIP, LS-120
Capabilities Flash BIOS, Shadow BIOS, Selectable Boot, EDD
Supported Standards DMI, APM, ACPI, PnP
Expansion Capabilities ISA, PCI, USB

[ System ]

System Properties:
Wake-Up Type Power Switch

[ Motherboard ]

Motherboard Properties:
Manufacturer EPoX COMPUTER CO., LTD
Product nForce4 DDR: 8NPASLI/8NPAGLI Series
Version 1.x

first plug the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS's back in> uninstall the drivers from it> restart the system still with NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS's in tacked > then turn off system and plug ur GeForce 8800GTS 640M in.> start her up.

if that doesnt work try reseting ur CMOS by removing the battery from the mobo for 5 min. then reinstall the battery (make sure the power cable is disconnected first)

Ok, another stupid question before I go and do this. In my recent move I've lost the install CD that came with the 6800 GS's, so what happens if I uninstall the drivers, find out that no matter what I do I can't get the 8800 to work, and want to go back to using the 6800's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom