Can't get the fan fix for HD 4870 to work - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to darkop16
Default Can't get the fan fix for HD 4870 to work

Ok, so there is a fan fix for the HD 4000s to get the fan to stay at a certain speed to lower temps:

HD 4870 Fan-Control, Easy Workaround, Lowered My Temps 30C - PC Perspective Forums

Im having a problem locating the profile.xml file. I installed everything the sapphire CD included. I go to the catalyst control center -> ATI Overdrive and hit the lock button icon to turn overdrive on. Then I go to the profile tab at the top and select profile manager. I create a profile without changing anything at the bottom (just entered a name and a short description) and clicked saved. I did not activate it at this point. I navigate to the file destination as shown in the guide.

Here is my problem. There is no xml file with my profile's name in it. Ive gone to the C:\Documents and Settings\"user name"\Application Data\ATI\ACE and there was nothing there. I also tried C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ATI\ACE and there was a xml file in it but it was called profiles.xml (my profile name i created was fanspeed), but nothing else.

Just in case this is what was in that profiles.xml:

<Caste name="Graphics">
<Adapter name="PCI_VEN_1002&amp;DEV_9440&amp;SUBSYS_0502100 2&amp;REV_00_4&amp;2B9C2F50&amp;0&amp;0008A" />
<Groups />

I do have hidden folders displayed. I had to anyways to see the application data folder. But there is just no file in either folder.

I can't play a game yet till I get this fixed, cause Im idling at 80*C :O.

edit: some pics if it helps:

edit. Yes Im stupid. I went to the C:\Documents and Settings\"user name"\Application Data\ATI\ACE instead of C:\Documents and Settings/"user name"\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE. I was skipping over the local settings. Anyways its there, sorry bout that.

Here are my new temps at 35% fanspeed if anyone is curious:

Alot better than 80*C. I think I might another profile for gaming and set it to 50% for games until AMD releases a fix that will allow fan speed to be controlled by temps.

CPU: e6600 @ 3.2ghz
RAM: 2GB G.Skill HZ PC6400
Mobo: ASUS P5B Deluxe
GPU: Sapphire HD4870
Soundcard: Creative Labs X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty
HDDs: 250GB WD + 750GB WD + 2x1TB WD
Monitor: Samsung 226BW
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 600W
Case: Cooler Master Stacker
Mouse/keyboard: Logitech MX518/Saitek Eclipse II
Speakers: Logitech Z-2300
Old 07-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Default Re: Can't get the fan fix for HD 4870 to work

Hey, that xml file has "CoreClockTarget" and "MemoryClockTarget"
I wonder if you can use them to bypass the CCC imposed clock limits?
Closed Thread