Can't Get Computer Connected To Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairuza

Baseband Member
Since re-installing Win-XP to a new hard drive, on my main desktop sytem, I no longer have access to the internet.

Have checked the 'Internet Connections' folder in the Control Panel. Nothing exists in there.

Have tried setting up a 'new connection'. Under the option of LAN/DSL, the wizard executes and after clicking on 'Finish' nothing is achieved.

I've tried all options, in desperation. No success.

I have phoned Blueyonder (now Virgin Media/Telewest) tech. support, but the operative freely admitted, none of the staff are familiar with Windows. Totally useless.

I've been roughly advised that I need some kind of driver. What driver? Where? He didn't know. Told me to ask a friend for the driver.

"What friend? What would I be asking for?"

"I don't know..."

I pay good money for this service.

Can't find any drivers among the software supplied with the equipment.

I'm on the MSI site, but really not sure what I should be looking for.

I've looked into the settings on the laptop, in the hope of copying them over. The fields don't show anything.

I have no idea where to turn next. Please advise.

Details:
Windows XP.
Broadband Modem.
Ethernet connection, direct to board. No additional network adaptor card present.
Motherboard brand: MSI.

How do I get this system onto the internet???

Thanks.

First click the start button. Next, right click my computer and select manage. On the left hand side you should see a section that says device manager, click on that. You should see a section that says network adapters. If there are question marks there you are missing a driver. This tends to happen on a fresh windows install. You probably have to download the driver from the manufacturer website. What type of computer?

Thanks. It's an MSI K8N Neo 4 Series motherboard, I'm using here, Hefemeister.

Fixed the problem. The drivers, it turned out, were on the Win-XP installation disc.

I tried the line repeatedly. Eventually, someone with an NVQ in computer building guided me to the solution. The drivers installed instantly.

It's a real lottery, who you get when you phone.

It was exactly as you say, djcloud. Big yellow question marks in the Device Manager.

Thanks for the interest, anyway. Sorry if I posted in the wrong section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom