Cant format Hard disk?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam02

In Runtime
Anyway, my new comp messed up with spyware and errors so i decided to do a fresh install of XP. My WD 250GB 16MB cache was partitioned initially a long time ago.

50GB Apps and Games
200GB storage

So i go to install XP and "Its not recommended to install a new OS with another one etc"(50GB partition)

so i decided il format the 200GB partition and install the new OS there and transfer it to the 50GB at a later stage.

So i try to format the 50GB partition and it goes "Unable to complete format".

Any help. what should i do. I want the New XP installation thats on the 200GB partition onto the 50GB partition.

The only thing i can think of is too delete the original partition and then set up the 2 partitions. An easy (and free) way to do it would be to use the utility on an old Win 98 startup disk. If you don't have 1 of those kicking around, do a search on google for that utility and download it. Hope this helps........

nitestick said:
sounds like because you have left the original installation there it won't let you format. it won't let you because it keeps the bootloader on the first partition you install to

It should format fine. Something's damaged.

cant delete it cant format it, cant change it. C: is the initial bootloader and what can i do to completely format my Hard drive and do a fresh install, i dont have a floppy drive. only a DVD rom, i do have a USB flash drive. any help please.

Boot from XP disc.
Press R to enter recovery console. Login.
Type: diskpart
Follow instructions to delete/create partitions.

ok i put in CD and i try restarting computer but it dont boot from the CD, it just boots up windows XP. How can i get it to boot from CD?

adam02 said:
ok i put in CD and i try restarting computer but it dont boot from the CD, it just boots up windows XP. How can i get it to boot from CD?

You have to enter your BIOS to change the boot device/boot order. Mostly located under "Advanced settings".
To enter your BIOS, press "DEL" when starting your computer. (Sometimes it is a different key, it should display the appropiate key at startup)

Ok i fixed the problem.

I took attached the Hard drive to another computer and booted up the computer using the hard drive already in it. i got into windows and it recognised the new hard drive and installed it etc. i went into administrative tools and deleted all the partitions on it, so it was completely blank.

Then attached the blank hard drive back into the new computer and re installed windows. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom