Can't find Master Boot Record? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Can't find Master Boot Record?

A while ago I was working on my grandpa's computer trying to solve a weird sound issue. Flashing the BIOS seemed to be the best solution at the time so I flashed the BIOS. However, after it was flashed, the computer no longer read the hard drives under a RAID array (RAID 1) and would only boot as IDE in the BIOS setting. I left it at that because correcting back to RAID required the install disc which I thought I didn't have. Anyways, it worked that way for a while and now it just took a dump.

The computer had been acting up lately so I decided to re-flash the BIOS and correct the RAID problem as well. But I was messing around with boot settings in the BIOS and after switching it to RAID, it not working, and then switching it back to IDE, I got an error message.

It said that the computer recognized a recent hardware change or something and needed the install disc to repair it. I put in the install disc and chose to repair the existing operating system (under the RAID configuration), but there was no operating system listed when there should have been. I exited the setup and tried IDE again and got the same error. The error code is 0xc000000e. Is this a deficient memory module issue, or something else? Will I need to do a complete fresh install of the Operating System or will this be salvageable?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: Can't find Master Boot Record?

Progress report, after setting the BIOS to RAID and booting from the install disc, if I choose to install now it sees the hdds with the partitions and all of the files so the data is still there, but I'm having difficulty loading the RAID Drivers from my USB drive so I'm gonna try installing a floppy drive and loading the drivers from the RAID floppy, I'll let you know when that's done and what happened.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Yep sounds like you've got the right idea
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 01-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Okay I ended up fixing the problem and setting the hard drives back to RAID. All of the files remained on the system, but something interesting happened that I couldn't figure out. When I first went into the repair install choice from the install disc, I didn't read any previous OS which was strange because I knew it was there. When I switched to Install Now option, it showed all of the hard drives with the OS and all the other files. However, I couldn't load the RAID drivers from either the RAID floppy or USB flash drive. So I went back into the repair install option and all of the sudden, it showed the previous OS being there and all I had to do was a recovery repair and viola, I got back into the OS to the desktop with it showing the hdds being on the RAID array. So all in all I got the problem fixed, but I couldn't understand why the OS just decided to show up after a while. Any ideas?
Closed Thread