Can't determine whats wrong with PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouisL

Baseband Member
I've had this computer since fall 2006 and about a few months ago, I started getting a lot of BSOD while playing video games. Well after getting so many, I just quit playing, but now it even effects the lowest functions of my computer. An example would be, when I open AIM my computer screen goes into this frenzy of fuzzy black and grey lines, and I have no idea why. At first I thought it was my video card but I replaced it with a friends which was the exact same model, but the problem still occurs if I want to run any programs higher than my internet browser.

I guess my question is, how do I go about determining what's wrong with my computer, whether its software or hardware?

Any feedback will be appreciated, thank you.

My specs are:

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2.0GHz Socket 939 Dual-Core Processor Model

- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

- G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel

- DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

- OCZ ModStream OCZ52012U 520W ATX / BTX Modular Active PFC Power Supply

- XFX PV-T71G-UCE7 GeForce 7900GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

- Windows Vista 64bit

Eliminating software is the easiest thing to do. Completely uninstall the video card then reinstall it with the latest drivers.

Also, check and make sure you have the latest DirectX and stuff like that. Maybe .NET framework as well.

Honestly, with a problem like that, I'd back up all your files then reload the whole system, especially if it did it with 2 different cards.

Do you remember what the STOP codes were? Or do you still have the minidump files that it produced (Located in C:\Windows\Minidumps)? If you do still have the minidumps, then put them in a zip or RAR archive and then upload them so we can analyze them.

I formatted my computer so I lost all the BSOD logs. Have you ever come across a case where a person opens a program and the computer screen just becomes fuzzy with black and grey lines? I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling the video drivers and if that doesn't work, I'll just format it again

Thanks for the advice

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the video drivers and the problem with AIM is fixed but if I try to open up crysis my screen still goes into the fuzzy frenzy or if I try to connect my pc to my tv it does the same thing. I'm wondering if it's just my computer screen? When I hook it up to my tv, the screen on the tv is fine but the screen display on my computer monitor still becomes fuzzy with black/gray lines.

Is there a program to determine whether or not my monitor is done?

7tx.png

Is that good or bad?

Ok.

1.) The GeForce 7900GT has TWO DVI connectors. The one you are currently using might be bad. Try switching the DVI cable from your monitor to the other one. (See what Happens)

2.) By chance do you have another DVI cable? IF so, try using it. If not, can you get one and try it?

3.) If you are using a silly DVI to VGA adapter... God help me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom