Can't boot OS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyn2010

Beta member
Hi All, Hope someone can help me please.
I had a blue screen which said "page fault in non page area".
When I run chkdsk it says "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems".
I can't now boot because I get "a disk read error occurred press ctrl alt delete".
I can't repair or re-install windows either! I have tried several times. I just get the blue screen again! :(
The only new thing I have done recently is install new antivirus and also Modernwarfare 2, both of which worked fine yesterday. I wasn't doing anything on the pc when the blue screen started either. The hard drive is quite new too - about 8 months old. Any suggestions anyone? Or am I screwed? (again).
Specs = Dell dimension 2.8 processor, 2048 ram, 250 gig HD.

Sorry forgot to say - OS is XP home edition. (Obviously can't do dxdiag cos of above probs!)

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-troubleshoot-specific-stop-errors-193301/
STOP 0x00000050 or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

A hardware driver or system service requested data that was not in memory, causing an exception error. The cause may be defective physical memory or incompatible software, especially remote control and antivirus programs. If the error occurs immediately after installing a device driver or application, try to use Safe Mode to remove the driver or uninstall the program.

you said you recently installed a new anti-virus program. see if you can get into safe mode and uninstall it.

Thanks to you both for the replies.

The antivirus was Norton 2010 and like I said it was fine all day the previous day. I did attempt to enter safe mode but got the blue screen again. I can't see the error codes because now all I get is the "a disk read error" msg every time i try to boot. I will attempt to get the blue screen error codes again and post them later. I also may have to slave the hard drive to restore files I need, but I will ask about that if my current problem cannot be resolved.

I really appreciate all the help. Thanks...to be continued..

Andy.

OK the latest...

I managed to successfully reformat and reinstall XP (clean install). I then installed the usual 1000000 updates and norton again, connected to the internet and browsed for an hour or so.

Then I had a new "blue screen"! - it said...

BAD_POOL-HEADER

Stop : 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0xE1CA0000, OXE1A0088, 0X0C110200).

Then I restarted and all fine in last 10 mins but I KNOW there must be a good reason for that! Please help someone - if I need a new hard drive cos the people who replaced the last one are con artists then I just want to know! The version of Norton is legit and brand new and I have now used up all 2 installs!

Appreciate any input, thanks.

Latest is I can't boot again.

It was fine for an hour then crashed with the "page_fault" msg, now I am just getting "A problem has been detected" etc (no capital letter message this time) whenever I try to boot, with the codes 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x89DF39F8, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000).

Diagnostic check (from CD) - following tests on "cannot boot OS" section in the symptom tree all failed.. (everything else passed)

(All in System Memory section)..
Data Bus Stress - error code 2F2F : 0119
Mats Test - error code 2F2F : 0119
March A Test - error code 2F2F : 0419
March B Test - error code 2F2F : 0819
March C Test - error code 2F2F : 0719
March X Test - error code 2F2F : 0919
March Y Test - error code 2F2F - 0A19

Any idea please anyone? Am on the verge of giving up really and could really use some advice/suggestions for recovery (repair does not work - just goes to DOS with flashing cursor).

Thanks for your time.

Andy.

Not even being able to boot into windows normally means the hard drive is completely dead or that your RAM is bad.

The easiest item to do first is take out old memory and pop in new sticks, or re seat the current sticks into different slots.

Or try memtest86+ first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom