Can't boot into Windows 7 HP dv6t-6100

For those who were asking more info about the laptop
The model is on the title
HP dv6t-6100, i5, 8 gb of ram.
I tried the win 7 link provided, i burnt it onto a cd and made it a bootable usb but still couldn't get into the setup.
I couldn't find where to download Linux Live Cd, is it free?
I'll run Memtest tonight.
Machine has win7
Bro in law said that he tried booting his laptop one day and this is what happened.
I've ran all the hp tests, hdd, ram and everything passed, I even ran the long in depth tests

I tried the win 7 link provided, i burnt it onto a cd and made it a bootable usb but still couldn't get into the setup.
Machine has win7
Bro in law said that he tried booting his laptop one day and this is what happened.
I've ran all the hp tests, hdd, ram and everything passed, I even ran the long in depth tests

All Linux distros are free ;)

Ubuntu is the most popular: Download Ubuntu Desktop | Download | Ubuntu

Either burn the ISO to a DVD or use UNetBootin to put it on a flash drive.

Machine has win7

...... try this out, take the hdd out of the laptop, if you have a laptop with same sata connector interface.
Put yours inside his laptop use the windows 7 installation disc you made earlier.
If I'm right your drive should be able to be seen by hp laptop and to boot all the way to the beginning of w7 installation before setting up and formatting.
If it does this without failure, something is indeed wrong with his drive.
Format his hard drive using the tool or link joe provided.
Once done try this for the final time if it doesn't work either way see about getting him a new hard drive real soon.
If it does stop halfway before starting the w7 installation the problem is on your end plus the cd or contents your using for W7 install.

Also they maybe something to look into, check his bios version and see which one he may have.
If its the old factory installed version reflash using the latest one provided by hp.
Software & driver downloads HP Pavilion dv6t-6100 CTO Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC | HP® Support

Last edited:
This laptop might still have a recovery partition on the hard drive, to access this hidden recovery partition tap the F11 key as it starts to boot up, Just another thing you might want to try....might/ might not work

Alright so here's the update:
Laptop doesn't have a recovery partition, I think his hdd went out like 2 years ago so I got it replaced and had to do a clean format.
I have a lenovo laptop so I put that hdd in it and tried booting from the Win 7 installation cd and it still got stuck, I even tried booting straight into the OS and it got stuck ( I assumed it might get stuck or crash but it got stuck)
I was able to boot into the LiveCd installion just fine.
So ... what the heck could this be...

Laptop doesn't have a recovery partition, I think his hdd went out like 2 years ago so I got it replaced and had to do a clean format.
I have a lenovo laptop so I put that hdd in it and tried booting from the Win 7 installation cd and it still got stuck, I even tried booting straight into the OS and it got stuck ( I assumed it might get stuck or crash but it got stuck)

Could be your installation dvd contents like I mention before.
If the live distro carne recommended you to use workded its your iso or dvd installation thats the main problem.
Which windows 7 os are you trying to use ?
Also which versions are you using 32bit/64bit retail or oem ?
Once you tell me that I'll whip up something and send it your way.

Last edited:

Does it get stuck at the same point every time?

Try re-burning your Win7 install disc from an ISO here:

[Legal Download: Windows 7 with SP1, 13 languages

Match up the key you have with the ISO you need.

It gets stuck at the same point everytime.
I have tried many different versions of windows, I have tried burning it on a flash drive and dvd. I know I'm not burning it the wrong way, I've done this many times before. I've even tried 2 different programs. I tried booting off the usb on my desktop and a different laptop and they booted into the windows set up with no problem.
There is a warranty on the hdd so I filed an RMA just for the heck of it.
So I'll wait to get that hdd and then re test. I doubt it will work since I already put a different hdd and it didn't but I guess we'll see

It gets stuck at the same point everytime.
I have tried many different versions of windows, I have tried burning it on a flash drive and dvd. I know I'm not burning it the wrong way, I've done this many times before. I've even tried 2 different programs. I tried booting off the usb on my desktop and a different laptop and they booted into the windows set up with no problem.
There is a warranty on the hdd so I filed an RMA just for the heck of it.
So I'll wait to get that hdd and then re test. I doubt it will work since I already put a different hdd and it didn't but I guess we'll see

Did you ever run a Memtest?

Back
Top Bottom