Can't boot into Windows 7 HP dv6t-6100

krazyq

krazy Techie
Hey guys,
I've tried everything I can think of so help will be appreciated.
This is my bro in laws laptop.
He reported that he couldn't boot into windows.
So when I tested it out, it got stuck in 2 different spots
The Starting windows screen right after the bios and once it actually got into the log in screen but froze right there.
So I ran all the hp tests and they all passed.
I did a power cycle (took the battery out, flipped it over, held power for 40 secs but still nothing)
Can't boot into safe mode.
Tried ram sticks individually and in additional spots.
So i wanted to try and run the win 7 repair, tried booting from the windows cd and it again gets stuck on the starting windows 7 screen.
I thought maybe the hdd is bad so I unplugged the hdd and tried booting off the cd and still it won't get past the windows 7 screen.
What's going on here?
Mb failing?
Did I forget to try something obvious?
Help will be appreciated.

Try resting RAM with Memtest from www.memtest.org

You could try booting off of a Linux LiveCD as well to see if it starts up without issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Try resting RAM with Memtest from www.memtest.org

You could try booting off of a Linux LiveCD as well to see if it starts up without issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I'll try Memtest and the LiveCD later today.
If it still doesn't work do you think the mobo is failing.
I find it strange how it won't boot to the windows CD even after I unplug the HDD...

I'll try Memtest and the LiveCD later today.
If it still doesn't work do you think the mobo is failing.
I find it strange how it won't boot to the windows CD even after I unplug the HDD...

Well it's definitely some kind of hardware issue - whether it's RAM or something else has yet to be determined.

If Memtest passes, it's possible that using the LiveCD may shed some light during bootup in the log messages that scroll across the screen.

Try disconnecting the Samsung SSD and run a diagnostic test from WD on the WD drive.
WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD VelociRaptor
Use the DOS method to get a more accurate test
You should disconnect the WD 2TB drive before you start installing windows because windows will install the boot loader onto the 2TB drive instead of the Samsung SSD. Your boot file should be on the SSD drive, Check your bios to be sure AHCI is enabled too

Try disconnecting the Samsung SSD and run a diagnostic test from WD on the WD drive.
WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD VelociRaptor
Use the DOS method to get a more accurate test
You should disconnect the WD 2TB drive before you start installing windows because windows will install the boot loader onto the 2TB drive instead of the Samsung SSD. Your boot file should be on the SSD drive, Check your bios to be sure AHCI is enabled too

I think you read his specs from his sig :p lol. That's not the system in question.

Damn...that's one big sig.... oh well...
I don't think it'll load windows without a drive, it'll boot up the the install screen and start unloading the cab files but will probably stop when it can't find the drive. Have you tested this drive from (who ever's drive it is) from the software from the drive's manufacture to check the health status? I know you stated you checked it with the HP diagnostics but that might be in error

Damn...that's one big sig.... oh well...
I don't think it'll load windows without a drive, it'll boot up the the install screen and start unloading the cab files but will probably stop when it can't find the drive. Have you tested this drive from (who ever's drive it is) from the software from the drive's manufacture to check the health status? I know you stated you checked it with the HP diagnostics but that might be in error
He can't even fully boot up the install CD, with out without the HDD installed.

Hey guys,
I've tried everything I can think of so help will be appreciated.
This is my bro in laws laptop.
He reported that he couldn't boot into windows.
So when I tested it out, it got stuck in 2 different spots
The Starting windows screen right after the bios and once it actually got into the log in screen but froze right there.
So I ran all the hp tests and they all passed.
I did a power cycle (took the battery out, flipped it over, held power for 40 secs but still nothing)
Can't boot into safe mode.
Tried ram sticks individually and in additional spots.
So i wanted to try and run the win 7 repair, tried booting from the windows cd and it again gets stuck on the starting windows 7 screen.
I thought maybe the hdd is bad so I unplugged the hdd and tried booting off the cd and still it won't get past the windows 7 screen.
What's going on here?
Mb failing?
Did I forget to try something obvious?
Help will be appreciated.

Let me ask you somethings.

#1 what version of windows 7 are you using also is it oem version or retail ?

#2 if your using a iso did you download this from microsoft store ?
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ISO Download? - Microsoft Community

#3 if your using a dvd which brand is it and what type of dvd is it ?

Honestly it may have something to do with the installation cd contents or where you downloaded it from.
Just to be sure install windows vista 32bit as a test installation.
Vista-32bit-SP1
If that succeeds and works then your windows 7 cd or sources maybe messed up.
Check and see and use a ms download link and use windows 7 cd/dvdusb tool.

The OP needs to post more specs, like brand name, complete model number and which operating system did it have previously
If it had Windows 8 previously then some bios changes are in order. Laptop ODD's are notorious for high failure, even the disk might be dirty or scratched

Back
Top Bottom