cant access external harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

walkinman86

Baseband Member
I have a 320gb Western digital sxternal harddrive. Yesterday, when I turned the comp on, a red question mark appeared on the destop shortcut for the drive. I went to MY COMPUTER and found the drive was no longer listed. When I click on the shortcut for thedrive, I receive the following message :THE DRIVE OR NETWORK CONNECTIONTHAT THE SHORTCUT "EXTERNAL DRIVE F.lnk REFERS TO IS UNAVAILABLE. MAKE SURE THAT THE DISK IS PROPERLY INSERTED,OR THE NETWORKRESOURCE IS AVAILABLE, AND THEN TRY AGAIN". The drive is running, I can feel it when I touch it and it is ilit up. Anyone got any ideas??

If this is network drive and you mapped the drive using the IP address then it might be that it has been reassigned a different IP address by DHCP. So questions are:
1) is this a network drive or USB. I assume it is network since you did not find it unusual that it mentioned network resource.
2) Do you use DHCP to automatically configure IP addresses?
3) Have you checked this already?

Maybe open up the case and see if the connector came loose from the hard drive.

After I thought about this a bit, I was wondering if the hard drive would still operate if the connector became loose inside the case. Anyone know? Just curious...

simply put, no it would not transmit data if the connector came loose in the case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom