Can't access directories in hdd

zaka100

W͂Oͨ̍̍̒̈́͛̕
So, like a month ago I was on my laptop to transfer some files. However, it suddenly just blue-screened. I couldn't be bothered fixing it because i don't use that laptop often. Today, I tried to transfer all the files i needed to my pc by connecting it to the sata port, it worked and it opened in explorer. However, the 'Users' and 'Program Files (x86)' folder was missing, also I couldn't access the 'Program Files' folder and the 'windows' folder with the error message: 'D:\Windows is not accessible.

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.'

Any help? Is the drive dead? Can I recover all my files :annoyed:?

Try booting off of a Linux LiveCD (such as Ubuntu) and copy the files off that way. Linux is a lot more forgiving on accessing drives with issues than Windows is.

Last month I had to recover data off of one of my HDD's with all of my music and some hard-to-find 8bit games and Windows wouldn't read any of the partitions. Booted into Linux and was able to backup all of my music as well as the few games I wanted (that weren't corrupted). And just a few weeks ago I had to do something similar with my primary HDD (replaced with SSD). Bad sectors a bitch, man.

Ok, so I tried mounting it in read only with ubuntu. However, when I tried to access the drive it said:'Sorry, could not display all the contents of “backup”: Error when getting information for file '/media/backup/MSOCache': Input/output error'

Ok, new plan. Use Testdisk (should be included on PartedMagic and UBCD LiveCD's):
TestDisk Step By Step - CGSecurity

Perform the steps listed there up to "Quick Search for partitions". On this step when it says to list files...do so. On the List Files screen, you should have options to mark files/directories to be copied, and then copy them to a different storage device.

TestDisk is what I had to use to recover some of the files off of the partition with bad sectors (PartedMagic's file explorer wouldn't mount the partition because of I/O errors like you're receiving).

Also, is there any reason you need to recover files from "Program Files", "Program Files (x86)" or "Windows"? Would just the "Users" directory be sufficient for you to recover any data?

Back
Top Bottom