Cant access CD DRIVES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibble

Solid State Member
this is a computer i have been having problems with for last month.

I have

1 cdr/rw drive
1 dvd drive they are both on 1 IDE cable

im running Window XP
this is a daily used computer since 2004 but but havent need to use the CD Drives in long time.

when I boot the computer during boot it list both properly

when windows is fully loaded and i go to the device manager they are properly identified with (!) on them.

when I go to my computer all I see are my hard disk and floppy disk listed there.

Both drives are power and I check cables they are fine I, I also switched the CD Drive to the IDE1 connection that didnt work neither.

do have a disk that came with one of the CD Drives but I still can access the CD Drive to use it.

thanks for any help

yes the jumpers are correct

ok this is an all the sudden problem the jumpers havent been moved in years.

In the xp device manager the CD ROM DISK are listed with (!) marks on them

when the computer boots that are also listed on the boot screen that flashes by correctly.

I have pulled both CD Drives out and they work just fine in another computer.

Ok, I missed that part about them being ok since 2004...my bad.

Maybe your drivers have been corrupted, you could try reinstalling the drivers.

Have you recently uninstalled any Burning Software like "Nero"? You could try this.
Download Nero Clean Tool Bundle 1.0 - The Driver-CleanTool will deactivate drivers that caused problems in Nero in the past - Softpedia

OR TRY THIS - Usually fixes this problem

In Windows XP and Vista based computers some times the High and Low filters get damaged in the registry. If the drive is still good and you had not had any issues with it not reading disks then the filter settings may be your problem. Try this:

Close all open programs

Click on Start

Click Run

Type REGEDIT and press Enter

note: Vista doesn't come with the run command enabled so just type REGEDIT in the search bar above Start..

Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders to open them.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SYSTEM

CurrentControlSet

Control

Class

{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
(looks like same file name for XP and Vista?)

This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

UpperFilters
LowerFilters
UpperFilters.bak
LowerFilters.bak

If you see any of the above keys, right-click on each of them and choose Delete

Close the Registry Editor

Reboot your computer

Click Start

Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drive shows now.

Open the device manager for your version of Windows and make sure the Rom Drive is showing and that it is not showing an exclamation mark. If you still do not see the Rom drive then your drive may be defective. Note: you might have to reinstall some of your CD or DVD playing/burning software.

ok thanks for responces. the problem was somthing happen when i was trying to burn som picture to a cd rom. with nero.

after lots of fix searching i found a quick fix on the microsoft website. I dont know what it did but they are active now and working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom