Can't access 500GB External HD via USB in Windows Explorer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Can't access 500GB External HD via USB in Windows Explorer

When I plug in my external HD to my USB port on my PC, I can tell that it is recognized, but I cannot navigate to the HD through Windows Explorer?

I can see the Storage Device in "Computer Management", but it does not give me the option to assign a drive letter to it...

Zalman 750W Modular Power Supply w/ Heatpipe Cooling
Zalman 110MM 2 Ball CPU Cooler
eVGA GeForce GTX285 1GB Graphics Card
G.SKILL 6GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Logitech THX Z-5300e 280 Watts RMS 5.1 Speakers
SCEPTRE 22" Widescreen HDTV LCD
Wireless Logitech Keyboard and Mouse
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1
SAMSUNG SpinPoint 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
King$nake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Minecraft Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by King$nake View Post
When I plug in my external HD to my USB port on my PC, I can tell that it is recognized, but I cannot navigate to the HD through Windows Explorer?

I can see the Storage Device in "Computer Management", but it does not give me the option to assign a drive letter to it...
Are you positive the drive is not damaged? I had one that had a similar problem and it turned out the drive itself had a defect.

Thorax_the_Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Can't access 500GB External HD via USB in Windows Explorer

Normally when a hard drive (internal or external) does this, it needs to be formatted. After you format, then you should be able to see the drive in Computer. It will assign a drive letter and path on its' own.

If it is a already used drive, then you have a problem with the drive itself.
thatguy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

One thing you could try before formatting or anything, is booting off of a Linux LiveCd such as Ubuntu, and seeing if it recognizes the drive. You could at least then try to back up any data before doing anything more with it.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to xerolen Send a message via MSN to xerolen Send a message via Yahoo to xerolen

If possible what about removing the drive from the external casing and putting it in the PC to try to see if it is the drive or the external interface? I had the same problem with my WD my book 2TB. I took the drive out and put it in my PC and I now use the 2TB HDD as a data drive. When I looked at the interface the thing had shorted out part of the PCB.
xerolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerolen View Post
If possible what about removing the drive from the external casing and putting it in the PC to try to see if it is the drive or the external interface? I had the same problem with my WD my book 2TB. I took the drive out and put it in my PC and I now use the 2TB HDD as a data drive. When I looked at the interface the thing had shorted out part of the PCB.

It could be the board inside the External, but I've never ran into this problem. If the drive is formatted correctly, and the board/interface has gone bad, then it would show up on the computer as a normal drive. If it was not formatted correctly, then it still would not show up.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to xerolen Send a message via MSN to xerolen Send a message via Yahoo to xerolen

Mine was formatted properly and read properly when outside the external but wouldn't let me interact with the drive whether it was to format, read or even see it was there. It would only show that some HDD was connected on that interface in MMC. when it was inside the external.
xerolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I guess I should have put " If the drive is formatted correctly, and the board/interface has gone bad, then it would show up on the computer as a normal drive if installed as an internal drive."

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
One thing you could try before formatting or anything, is booting off of a Linux LiveCd such as Ubuntu, and seeing if it recognizes the drive. You could at least then try to back up any data before doing anything more with it.
+1 on that. ^

Or check your bios and makes sure the computer sees your usb hdd drive.
If so it will display the current size and number brand for your hdd.
Personally I would grab a windows 7 dvd and let the installer run a bit until you get the option to format.
If the installation stops and says it cannot be formatted because it is unrecognizable or damaged I would assume the drive is messed up.
Seek rma service if any remaining warrenty is left on it.

-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote