cannot recognize CD-ROM Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

X2Xtreme360

In Runtime
After an upgrade from win 98SE to win 2000 Pro, My CD-ROM drive couldn't be recognized anymore. This PC is pretty old, I'm just working on it to restore it back to it's original configuration. So far I have completely zero'd out the HDD.

After I did that I realized, I had forgotten that the PC is having some hardware issues with the CD-ROM Drive. I have a bunch or drives just sitting aorund my room so I put another one in. In the BIOS, it is recognized simply as CD-ROM. But usually within the BIOS it actually identifies the correct name and model of the drive and not just CD-ROM. It's set on auto so I didn't mess with anything there. My boot priority is set to CD-ROM drive first, but with the disk in place, I still get "No operating system found". So it's going straight to the hard drive to boot. The drive is working as it does whirr up like it's trying to boot, but it doesn't.

Is there any other way to start the installation or get my BIOS to recognize the CD-Drives? This is an HP 6535.

the only problem is we started having problems with the cd-rom drive after the win 2000 install. The PC is only intended to be fully compatible with win 98SE, which is why I zero'd out the drive. Well now there's no operating system and I'm still having drive troubles. We upgraded our CD-ROM drive once, that was when we started having problems. I decided to convert back to the ORIGINAL drive since the new one wasn't working for some reason, and I've been having problems ever since.

Also, I can't remember anything about 98. Do you absolutely HAVE to use the boot floppy to choose if you wanna start from CD or not?

X2Xtreme360 said:
the only problem is we started having problems with the cd-rom drive after the win 2000 install. The PC is only intended to be fully compatible with win 98SE, which is why I zero'd out the drive. Well now there's no operating system and I'm still having drive troubles. We upgraded our CD-ROM drive once, that was when we started having problems. I decided to convert back to the ORIGINAL drive since the new one wasn't working for some reason, and I've been having problems ever since.

Also, I can't remember anything about 98. Do you absolutely HAVE to use the boot floppy to choose if you wanna start from CD or not?

You choose your boot method in the BIOS. You use a floppy coupled with a CD to install it.

OK I'll try that and post back. I have 2 PC's to do this on. One of the PC's floppy drives isn't working properly either, so I got some work to do.

I hate floppy drives. I unplug mine when I don't use it, and I have to remove my soundcard to plug the floppy cable in. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom