Cannot install Win2k on clean IDE harddrive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Exclamation Cannot install Win2k on clean IDE harddrive

Pentium 4 3.2Ghz
80GB Western Digital EIDE HD

I'm trying to install Win2k on this 80GB IDE Drive. It loads up into the setup, "sets up" all the drivers and then it BSOD's on me I know the install CD is right because I've used it on a few other machines today.

Any ideas here? I've tried everything from playing around with the jumpers and to switching IDE cables!

Here's the setup. This harddrive, with no jumper setting, is connected to the primary EIDE socket and the secondary IDE socket is the two DVD Burners. The win2k cd is in one of the 2 dvd burners and I'm trying to install into the harddrive.

Any ideas/help would be so appreciated!

Aside: Sometimes it won't recognize the HD at all and go NTLDR is missing. I wouldn't expect this error for a formatted harddrive :S

Old 05-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Default Re: Cannot install Win2k on clean IDE harddrive

Make sure the boot order and master/slave assignment is right in the BIOS. One thing I hate about IDE--I used to mix that stuff up all the time.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Repeat Offender
Default Re: Cannot install Win2k on clean IDE harddrive

Sounds like a possible bad drive to me. Run some diagnostics on the drive, run memtest too just to rule out any RAM issues. And I would think you would want the jumpers set to cable select if you only have one hard drive. Some may not agree with me on that. But I have found sometimes if you don't have a slave you get errors with a master.
Change the world. Of one person. Today.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Closed Thread