Cannot connect to Proxy server, I don't USE a proxy server - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Cannot connect to Proxy server, I don't USE a proxy server

Actually this is for my wife's computer, there is more than one issue. It is a Windows 7 64-bit machine. On Sunday she tried to get on the internet using Firefox. She kept getting a message similar to "Cannot connect to the proxy server". Well, we don't use a proxy server, or a firewall, so that message just indicates a setting is wrong on the browser. Checked it, it was correct for our situation. Hmmmm... that's odd. Tried IE and Chrome. Same message. Settings also correct for those browsers. Well, reboot it. She did. No luck, same message. Had her attempt to do a system restore for two days ago. She did. System booted up, looked fine, tried Firefox, same message. Tried rebooting again. This time, it starts the boot process, but goes to a completely black screen, flashes a quick message that says "Windows Loading", and that's it. The computer has been in that state since Sunday night with no change. It will not go into safe mode, have tried multiple times. I'm sure this is a bit of malware, but can't find anything about it. The computer is less than 3 months old, and has worked fine, so doubtful that the hardrive is trashed.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Cannot connect to Proxy server, I don't USE a proxy server

Try going through our guide:
Spyware Asylum

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 07-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, that would be great if her computer were up and running. It's not. I need some advice first on how I might be able to even get into safe mode since the traditional method of repeatedly pressing F8 doesn't seem to be doing it. It actually seems as though when the BIOS screen disappears, the keyboard (as well as the rest of the computer) is disabled at that point. Perhaps someone has some other way to get into Safe Mode at least, or perchance a downloadable fix I could copy onto a CD and boot from that?
Old 07-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Just to be clear, when I say it won't go into Safe Mode, I mean that I do get it to the point where you select Safe Mode, but after selecting it, it lists several lines of services it is starting (the normal stuff), appears to get 1/3 to 1/2 of the way done and the screen goes immediately black, then nothing works, keyboard, mouse, nothing. As of now, I've managed to get it into the "Setup" menu, and from there into Diagnostics, which it is running right now. It has been running for about 10 minutes, and seems to be stuck in a loop while testing the CPU's. I'm going to let it continue for a while, see if anything changes.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagol4 View Post
Just to be clear, when I say it won't go into Safe Mode, I mean that I do get it to the point where you select Safe Mode, but after selecting it, it lists several lines of services it is starting (the normal stuff), appears to get 1/3 to 1/2 of the way done and the screen goes immediately black, then nothing works, keyboard, mouse, nothing. As of now, I've managed to get it into the "Setup" menu, and from there into Diagnostics, which it is running right now. It has been running for about 10 minutes, and seems to be stuck in a loop while testing the CPU's. I'm going to let it continue for a while, see if anything changes.
In my personal opinion i would just throw in the OS CD and press F12 then boot from the cd and just reinstall the OS. I'm sure someone elses help could be more benificial, and im sorry if this is little to no help at all. \:
Old 07-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

If you've still got the windows 7 install disk you can try repairing the installation. Insert the disk, press enter to get started, then click the 'repair' option. If that doesn't work, try restoring to an earlier point again (same steps as above to get the option to show).

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Closed Thread