Cannot connect to the internet with other problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tisoraku

In Runtime
I just put this system together -

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADO3600DDBOX
BIOSTAR TForce TF7025-M2 Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe and Software Black IDE Model SH-S182M/BEBM - OEM
Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model
FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX400-PN, RoHS, 12cm FAN, version 2.2, 2 SATA, 20+ 4 pin, PCI Express, 400W Power Supply
SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XP
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

I cannot connect to the internet, I can't install all the drivers without Windows Xp service pack 1 and or 2, I can't get online to install those to install all of the drivers. The USB's are not working, I looked around here a bit and can't find what the problem is trying to content to comcast cable internet. Trying to connect with IE.

I had a 250 GB hard drive and it shows as 127.GB

Try unpluging cable or dsl modem's power for two minutes. During this time go into your internet settings and set to obtain IP and DHCP address automatically. Then shut that computer down. Turn on power to modem. Once modem has cycled thru, turn computer on and connect to internet.

If that did not work, your ISP tech support will take care of you.

First things first. Open the device mangler and make sure that your nic drivers are there. If you just built this system, you MUST run the motherboard disk to install the onboard drivers. After you have confirmed that your nic drivers are installed, do a start > run > cmd and type ipconfig /all . You will either get a valid ip adress or it will say something like "no dhcp devices are found".

I had a similar problem when i built my machine last week, although mine was just a matter of power cycling the cable modem so that it recognized the new machine.

Ahem. If he cant get to the internet on the machine, he cant download service packs. Downloading then burning a service pack is a lot more trouble than just fixing the problem on the machine also.

Ahem. If he cant get to the internet on the machine, he cant download service packs. Downloading then burning a service pack is a lot more trouble than just fixing the problem on the machine also.

From his original post it looked like his drivers require SP1 and SP2. If he actually has those updates, he could install the drivers (which is his problem is it not). Unless I misunderstood his original post.

I will try the modem and check for all nic drivers, I can't copy XP service packs to the new computer because the cd will not copy. The dvd player also doesn't have a dvd decorder to play films.

I have yet to run into any driver disks that wont install without service packs. Just from the sound of it (he hasnt run any driver disks) that the onboard nic isnt working, thus no internet. Windows xp is really bad about not installing nic drivers.

More to the point, what i usually have to do is install windows (no service packs on my older than dirt cd) then install the nic driver or run the motherboard disk (depends on the board and whether its an all in one install disk) then go download drivers.

The internet is working by powering off the modem and restarting.

Know why only half of my hard drive is showing up?

Heh i just now realized that you are using comcast. Is the modem a motorola? AS for the hard drive only showing half its size, check in the bios and make sure that it is being seen as 250gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom