Cannot boot from cd after new harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAD AI

Baseband Member
I added a 20gig IDE drive into my computer to run Kubuntu linux on, but now I cannot boot from CD, CD is first in the boot order, and I can read the drive in windows.

The only thing I can see that might be causing the problem is that my main windows hard drive is the third master drive, 2 is unused, and the new one is 1st master, but I don't see a way to change it in the BIOS.

You have one SATA and one IDE?

Check your BIOS. I don't have any experience with SATA, but sometimes BIOSes may see them as different than IDE. Also make sure the master/slave IDE jumpers are set right (or just use CS). Try unplugging the SATA drive and booting the PC. There is a chance that Linux didn't install right, or Windows messed up the Linux bootloader (last night on my new computer, reinstalled Win2K and it destroyed GRUB, so I had to reinstall GRUB manually to boot Ubuntu again). If you can't boot from the hard drive when the Windows drive is gone, then you may need to reinstall Kubuntu, but make sure you have it install GRUB when both drives are on (otherwise you won't be able to boot Windows).

I don't have kubuntu actually installed yet, it is on the cd, which will no longer boot. My newest Hardrive is absolutely blank and unformatted. I know the bootdisk works because I could boot into live mode before installing the second drive.

And I don't know what CS is referring to, please explain. =)

Thanks for your help thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom