Cannot apply firmware - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2006, 09:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Originally posted by IBMan
The faceplate changing means nothing, OS's can use similar or the same driver for 2 different devices, to be safe...check the model number on the physical hardware.
yes, but the devices are not necessarily exactly the same.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to IBMan

i know, 2 different devices can have the same model number. But it would probably be more accurate if you looked at the label on the device, that would most likely be more accurate, if you wanted to go even further, you could open it up to look at the main board and chipsets to get more detail

AMD Athlon 4000+ @ 2.4 GHz
4096 MB RAM
Dual Mirrored 500 GB HDDs
Windows Server 2003 x64 R2 SP2
Old 06-29-2006, 04:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok, today I put an end to all of this foolishness. I sent back the ASUS or whatever it is to NewEgg for a refund. I popped into one of our local computer shops and picked up a Liteon for $28. I installed it, saw that a firmware update was available, installed that, and now I'm burning cd's as fast as I can load the tray. Nirvana once again!
Old 06-30-2006, 07:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

New Egg while having great prices is not always the most reliable I find, I had previously purchased a DVD burner from their website, and it went bad within a month, which is odd since I take very good care of my machines, I had to send it back and finally just buy a mid quality dvd burner from retail.

Closed Thread