Can Windows prevent POST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengance

In Runtime
I have the following specs (recently installed)

Intel E6420
Gigabyte P35-DS3R
2x1 GB Crucial Ballsitix
Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit)

When my computer goes into sleep, it does not resume. The lights come on, but my monitor stays asleep (no signal). If i manually power down and restart, Windows doesn't POST although I see lights and hear harddrives.

If I clear my CMOS, it works just fine. After some googling it appears Vista has some problems coming out of hibernation. But why wouldn't it post?

First of all windows reguardless of the OS Version, has nothing to do with POST or clearing the CMOS.

POST, power on self test, is done by the BIOS.

Who knows why it won't POST correctly in such situation.
Try flashing the BIOS. If it continues, update VISTA, if it continues, don't use hibernation/sleep.

First of all windows reguardless of the OS Version, has nothing to do with POST or clearing the CMOS.

Yeah, I was pretty sure of that too. But I couldn't figure out why it POSTs fine 100% of the time from a powered off mode but not from a standby mode. I'm guessing it has more to do with the board settings in standby and the CMOS just clears some cache and it acts as a powered off start.

Try flashing the BIOS. If it continues, update VISTA, if it continues, don't use hibernation/sleep.

Well, I have the 1.0 board with the current F4 bios. I would really like to use standby as I use this a lot for recording TV, which can awaken a computer when not in use. I'll try going through Gigabyte for assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom