Can videocard cause freezing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanker

Banned
I don't have any software to know what the videocard temp is, but its old, so it might not even have a sensor on it. But its dirty and the GPU fan is dirty and that can insulate heat, so I'm pretty sure its pretty hot.

Can a overheating vid card cause system freezing? It does control all my visual settings.

It is possible. But, at this point, its pretty hard to blame it with 100% certainty. THere is so many other things that could be causing freezing.

Have a look at my Random Reboots Guide in the troubleshooting section. I realize that Random Reboots isnt your problem, but some of the things that will cause random reboots will also cause freezing.

I should also ask, when do you get freezing?

I wrote about this in another thread. its usually when I'm loading something, or doing something that stresses the PC. The main thing is when I start programs like Everest: Home or 3DMark03 and 3DMark05, it totally freezes when the loading window comes up. For Everest, it ALWAYS freezes when its "Scanning PCI devices." My FX 5200 is a PCI card, so thats a suspect. Other times its frozen are during gameplay in BF2 and Sims 2. My sister, who also uses my comp, has said that it freezes for her everytime she loads her character on TOONTOWN! Thats like the lowest requirement game out there!

Before and while I installed windows, It would freeze when the "Setup is starting windows 2000" came up. Again, the comp was starting something. it would also freeze when I was installing my Ultra ATA drive.

Also, my processor is at high-40s to low 50s degrees in Celcius. Thats my other suspect. My major suspect actually.

yup, it's usually when the video card sends corrupt info to the system. most of the data goes to the monitor though, which is why you get artifacts first when it overheats.

apokalipse said:
yup, it's usually when the video card sends corrupt info to the system. most of the data goes to the monitor though, which is why you get artifacts first when it overheats.

So you're saying that its my video card thats causing my to freeze in-game and even when Everest and 3DMark05 and 05 start?

Well thanks for your info. I'm planning on getting the 6600GT anywayz. My currect POS FX 5200 is bottlenecking my system like all hell. My PC runs like something from 2001, in games atleast.

Newegg. And sorry, I can't go over $150 with the video card. I'm not paying for this, my Dad is, I don't have a job yet. My dad told me not to go over $150 and I don't want a refurb video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom