Can updating video card drivers cause artifacting? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Can updating video card drivers cause artifacting?

Hello, I have been having problems with my display driver crashing in Minecraft and only Minecraft. Other games, such as Crysis SP Demo, Metro 2033 Demo, and SC2 seem to run fine.
I have tried downgrading to a previous driver, as well as, updating to the driver that was released this month, both have not solved this problem. With my most recent update, occasionally, my video card will not up-clock. When not in use, my core clock is 100 and my memory clock is 150.
Odd thing is, when I run FurMark, the GPU never up-clocks, and I see very slight artifacting.

I have been monitoring my temps carefully and constantly, max has been 65 and idle is 32C.
I'm starting to wonder if there is a problem with the card, I have never heard of drivers causing artifacts.
My card and additional specs are listed in my signature.

Build to be updated, a reminder to myself.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
There and Back again
Default Re: Can updating video card drivers cause artifacting?

Sounds to me like it might be the game and NOT the card. If other games play fine and don't crash, that kind of rules out the card. Maybe you can try reloading the game? or check the company website, maybe there is a known issue with certain cards with said game?

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70
NZXT Source 530 / i7-3770K / Corsair H100 / ASRock Z77 Extreme4 / SoundBlaster Recon3d
Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD/Seagate 1TB/2TB/WD 2TB
4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 / PNY GTX 980 ti/ Seasonic M12II 850W
Closed Thread