can turn on pc, but wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveblue

Beta member
Hi,
my daughters PC is having a bit of trouble, I'm not to sure as to what she did [says she didnt do anything :) ]

So heres the problem, I can press the power button, and the PSU, system fans and cpu fan all start up and work fine, but the computer does not boot up. It seems that the hard drive, DVD drive and graphics arn't engaged, no info comes up on the screen, and monitor switches off after awhile as its getting no signal.

anyone any info on what is happening, is the mobo dead, is the cpu dead?

thankyou,
steve

try any of these options :
(((GROUND URSELF BEFORE TOUCHING ANYTHING)))
-use a different Power Supply (since that HD, DVD....dont run)
-reseat ur video card and RAM (if that doesnt work use default mobo video)
-if u hav a manual reset the CMOS by pulling out the battery in the mobo for couple minutes, then use that manual to reconfigure the settings (if the PC boots up)
-reassemble everything from barebone (remember to ground urself before touching anything)
-check if there are any beeps when u power it up
-check if the compacitors ar poping up in the mobo(if so replace them or get a new mobo)
-check if the heatsink is properly seated
-boot with only the CPU(fan&heatsink), PS, RAM, monitor plugged in the rest leave it unplugged
-might be dead BIOS, flash it or use hotflashing or agent smith's in stickies. (Software)
-might be bad grounding try a different power cable
- if u OC ur PC put the setting to default

Hello,

So it was working before? And if so, has anything significant happened, like moving the PC, adding new hardware etc...?

Can you hear the hard drive seeking and reading data?

:EDIT:

sylwek said it all :) .

it was working grand before, she turn it off to goto her grandmothers, and later I went in to update the anti-virus elc, switched on the pc, and nothing happened.

the dvd drive, will not work at all, cant open it at all.

the motherboard has made no nosie, no beeps ....elc

I think the harddrive has made some seeking noices, it felt like it was seeking to.

my daughter has a habit of leaving the pc on , could this have an effect, may be on the PSU

the pc is only 8 months old

sounds lik the PS is fried
try borrowing one of a friend or somethin and if still doesnt boot that means its a different problem

since u said that ur daughter likes leaving the computer on this may mean that ur computer overheated and ur capacitors may be poped up or even burst open

sylwek said:

since u said that ur daughter likes leaving the computer on this may mean that ur computer overheated and ur capacitors may be poped up or even burst open

is this the capacitors on the PSU or the mobo?

thanks, i've tried changing the PS but on luck still the same results. The mobo maker, said that if the systems fans are still working then the mobo is fine and that it is more likely the memory or the processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom