Can not get power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

james.wired

Equator Gringo
I have a thread about ocing my cpu and in my last post I mentioned that something went wrong and my computer died.

Well..I pushed the voltage up to 1.5v and at 3.2ghz, ran prime, my temps were at 33c. Within 15 minutes the computer just shut off out of no where. Now it won't boot. Every once in a while I can get the LED's to flash power on for half a second but that is all.

Well it needs to come back to life! It simply will not power on. Sometimes I can get a split second power to my LED's on my fans but that is it. I took the computer apart and I can't see any signs of burns or irregularities on the hardware. I swear I have tried everything. I have switched the PSU (tried a older no name brand 350w and left one of my graphics cards unplugged), swapped out the processor, tried a different motherboard, all of these in different combination. I get the same problem every single time; no power what so ever or a split second power to the fans. I even tried a different power cord and a different power socket in another room.

I guess I need to take it step by step again, but with some pros telling me what I need to do! I am probably skipping things over just over thinking the problem completely. What are the first steps to narrowing it down to find out what went wrong? Help!! Thanks in advance.

Comp specs:
MSI K9A2 CF-F-V2
Phenom 8750BE (stock = 2.4ghz)
Core Contact Freezer
1x2GB SuperTalent DDR2 667
2 x Sapphire 4850 512mb in CrossFire
Corsair vx550w
160GB HD, 320GB HD
WinXP Pro SP2 32-bit
21.5" ViewSonic 1080p 1900x1080

NVM saw that you tried with a different mobo....

Try doing a bench test, remove it ALL from the case, place it on wood/cardboard, and try to start it up.. No start, go to the bare minimum, remove everything except the CPU to see if the board throws memory errors. If so then that is good, if no errors... I think the CPU/Mobo is burned out... Even with low temps, a HIGH voltage can fry a memory controller or the CPU it self, or the temp sensor on the CPU/mobo....

NVM saw that you tried with a different mobo....

Try doing a bench test, remove it ALL from the case, place it on wood/cardboard, and try to start it up.. No start, go to the bare minimum, remove everything except the CPU to see if the board throws memory errors. If so then that is good, if no errors... I think the CPU/Mobo is burned out... Even with low temps, a HIGH voltage can fry a memory controller or the CPU it self, or the temp sensor on the CPU/mobo....

This might sound really stupid- but how do I start it up without the the line that connects the case's power button to the mobo?

If you use a screw driver, make SURE you touch ONLY the pins that the power lead connects to, or you could risk destroying the motherboard.

I think I will just position the case in a way that I could run the wires to the board. Jumping it doesn't sound like something I could handle correctly haha.

Ok I tried both suggestions with the same result. I also tried the cpu in another motherboard with no results. Are there any other tests I can try or am I off to buying another cpu and motherboard?

since you have it all, try your components in the other board and cpu.

but if cpu/mobo combo didn't fire I'd guess, you really did it bad. Out of curiousity... can you get a good psu to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom