Can no longer see or find CD/DVD drive? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Can no longer see or find CD/DVD drive?

To whom it may concern:

I own a Toshiba Satellite A305D and I am running Windows Vista Ultimate. I recently burned a CD on iTunes (about a week ago) and once again tried to open my hard drive to read another CD today but the CD did not appear. The device turns on and spins the CD, so the motor doesn't seem to be a problem.

I tried multiple CDs as well. I went to My Computer and the hard drive was no longer there, all I saw was the C: drive. If I go to Control Panel-->Hardware and Sound-->Device Manager I see the hard drive under "disk drive." It is a Hitachi HTS5425209SA00 ATA Device. I click on that and I am notified that the device is running properly. I have checked for updates and I'm running the latest version.

I ran the Microsoft Fix It with no results. I also went back to a Restore Point (maybe not far back enough) and all that happened there was a Javascript error and something wrong with iTunes so I had to reinstall those.

I have visited many forums on the web to help me with this problem but can't find a solution that seems to work. I opened the Registry as well and did that technique only to find under the "right hand column" Lower and Upper filters but by "right hand column" do they mean just the right hand box (because there are 3 columns in there and the Upper/Lower Filter are in the left most under "Name")?

Forgive my lack of tech speak or knowledge, I just want access to my DVD/CD drive again

Thanks!

mattpis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Default Re: Can no longer see or find CD/DVD drive?

Remove and replace/reseat the drive (with the laptop off, of course) and see if it shows back up. Also, go into the BIOS and see if it shows up there.

If neither of these work then your drive is probably dead.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Can no longer see or find CD/DVD drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
Remove and replace/reseat the drive (with the laptop off, of course) and see if it shows back up. Also, go into the BIOS and see if it shows up there.

If neither of these work then your drive is probably dead.
I re-seated the CD/DVD drive and the optical drive then showed up in BIOS. Thanks again!
mattpis is offline   Reply With Quote