Can no longer access my desktop - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Can no longer access my desktop

So I've been trying to fix this with little progress. Essentially whenever I try to log on, after I type in my password and get the little spinny wheel with Welcome. I get greeted by a black screen with my cursor. I can move my cursor around for about 2-5 minutes before the screen just freezes. This is only today though. Previously I could get passed the welcome screen with mister spinny wheel. But my computer would take a bit to load and would eventually freeze in 20-30 minutes. I bought new ram, aswell as a new graphics card so I ruled those out as the problem. I tried to use Prime95 in safe mode but right after starting it my computer freezes. Which is another thing, i can get into safe mode just fine. Unless I freeze before hand at maybe the screen where it loads all the safe mode processes. Also 4 days prior my ram was also screwing me, (Screwing me= blue screen all the time for Mem management, page in nonpaged area, ect.
) but that fixed after i got the new ram.

I have a EVGA 660 Ti which I got maybe 4 days after launch and I got something I've never gotten before yesterday. Just a blank red screen when I wasnt looking talking to a friend. So Im not sure if that has any relents to this problem.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks a ton.

Edit: Also my computer freezes in startup repair everytime. And ive ran multiple avast boot scans.

*|EFU|*pcgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via Skype™ to Insomnium
Default Re: Can no longer access my desktop

What OS, and how much RAM are you using in your system?

Insomnium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

There's not really much info, but you may also want to try using a Live OS. If you use Ubuntu it will allow you to run the OS off the CD. If it works fine, it's either a software problem or a hard drive problem.
turtile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomnium View Post
What OS, and how much RAM are you using in your system?
I have Windows 7 and 16 GB of ram.

This is the ram I have Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Also an update, theres nolonger a black screen. I can access my desktop but it freezes in the first 20 seconds.
*|EFU|*pcgamer is offline   Reply With Quote