Can a new laptop graphics card cause the backlight on the screen to blow - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Can a new laptop graphics card cause the backlight on the screen to blow

Hi
I have a 2 year old sony vaio vgn fz11s, 4 weeks ago, blue and green lines appeared on the screen and the laptop turned itself off. I was able (with gooogle) to identify the graphics cards as the fault and managed to get the card replaced free of charge by Sony (it was a known fault on the card that Sony did not feel warranted a recall).
I recieved the laptop back after 3 days and all was well for 4 days. THEN. the backlight on the monitor failed and there was no output through the VGA or HDMI ports.
I sent the laptop back to Sony believing that the Graphics card was still the fault.
Today I recieved a quote for repair for 780 ouch..
Question: Can the new card be responsible for this new problem and does the lack of output from the VGA and HDMI ports still mean that the Graphics card is not working properly
Question:- Can a new graphics card cause a blown backlight.
I am extremely gratefull for any assistance you can give. (Sony require 150 just for Laptop assessment)
Thank you
Shaun

Old 03-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Can a new laptop graphics card cause the backlight on the screen to blow

I don't know how you guys do it in Europe but whenever something goes wrong after a product gets repaired in the U.S., there's a 30 warranty for repair and parts......
Sony should have tested the laptop out for QC after repairing it and before shipping it back to you so it the graphics card shouldn't be the problem

Old 03-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Biohazardous

Default Re: Can a new laptop graphics card cause the backlight on the screen to blow

I would say you should call and complain. Tell them you didn't have a problem until they replaced an already faulty graphics card. Make them fix it for free... I am sure if you complain enough they will give you what you want. They tried fixing it, and it broke very soon after.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Psht, dude this happened to my Sony Ar230g they wont do crap. Yes it does blow out the back light. I already informed them of this and this is what they have to say. " Your laptop is out of warranty sir est price 800$. that seems very fair correct? xD not!! With 800$ I bought myself a new Asus and dame happy I did. Here's what you do. Don't dare repair the laptop just go ahead and buy a new one because Sony doesn't give a horses ***.

-Sig
Old 03-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Biohazardous

Well that just sucks. Too bad this happened.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

IMO, Sony isn't that good at the support end. If it's out of warranty, they go way out of bounds.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

doesn't look good then.
I have sent them a rather snotty email stating consumer rights and the fact that there was not a problem with the monitor before I sent it for initial repair, I will see what happens and let you know... thanks anyway
Old 03-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

most laptop problems are their lcds i have two laptops being not working due to their lcd , the back light problem is probably of the invertor which is a small circuit board in the lcd so you replace may be this will solve the problem

Closed Thread