Can Mac Ram Go in PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theheresy

Solid State Member
Hi, someone gave me some ram from their mac that says pc3 8500e on it..not sure what it is, but can it go into my PC? Or is mac ram only for macs.

-EDIT-

oh and can someone please answer a subsequent question to this one: can 2 types of ram be mixed? Right now my PC has 8gb of DDR2 ram, and I have 4GB of this PC3 8500e which I THINK is DDR3. Can I use the 4 of DDR3 and 4gb of DDR2 in my pc?

Okay, first off, edit your posts instead of posting again.

Secondly, I highly doubt DDR3 will interface with DDR2 unless you have a freak motherboard, and even then I doubt it.

Thirdly, I don't think mac ram will work in a PC anyway. It's technically the same stuff, but I know newegg separates them, so who knows? Regular PC RAM will work in a mac, but I don't know about the other way around.

Which is a moot point since it won't work in your current system anyway.

1. DDR3 and DDR2 have different physical configurations. Your board WILL NOT physically support both types, only one type will fit.

2. I know some of the older "mac" ram woks fine with PCs, as far as I know the newer stuff should as well but don't quote me on that (however, I'm about 89% sure).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom