Can I use Acronis to back up my Vista and files on an external HD - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 12:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Can I use Acronis to back up my Vista and files on an external HD

I want to use Acronis and/or Norton Ghost 11 to backup my operating system, files to an exteral hard drive so I can use the same files and operating system on my other computer. Can I boot an external hard drvie via boot from hdd on an newly partitioned HD can; can Acronis or Norton Ghost manage these tasks?

p.s can someone give me the rank link so I'll now when I'm on my way to becoming a virgin techie and so fouth and I can show off my detailed specs...and which program do I use for creating those detailed specs; respect guys and girls=]

Old 05-04-2009, 01:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: Can I use Acronis to back up my Vista and files on an external HD

Hello,

You can use software such as Acronis True Image or Disk Director to backup your partition(s) (operation system and personal data files) to another hard drive. However, you can't boot into the backed up operating system on another system, because the backed up operating system won't have the correct drivers installed for the different hardware devices in the new system. It will fail to boot.

Of course, if the second system has exactly the same hardware devices installed, then theoretically it will work. To add, on rare occasions, you can boot into an OS on a hard drive taken from another system, but usually not without complications.

What OS are you using on your first and second systems? Windows Easy Transfer allows you to '...move the files and settings stored on your PC running Windows 2000, Windows XP, or even Windows Vista to a new PC running Windows Vista.' It can't transfer installed programs, but it can transfer program data files. I haven't used it myself, but it's an option.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 05-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

What if the hard drive is blank? Can I boot from the external hard drive? I have a compaq intel duo core with xp professional x32, a toshiba satillite A300 with Vista Home premium x64 and an eMac with 1 gb of ram. I'd like to transfer files from my HP Pavillon desktop to my Toshiba is this task performable via external hard drive and using Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost which is best for the task I want to perfom?
Old 05-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Hello,

Unfortunately, it still will not work, as previously described, regardless of whether there is already hard drive in your second system with an existing OS installed (or blank).

As for your second question, Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost are capable copying files, folders or partitions to another hard drive (internal or external). Which program you use is up to you.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Closed Thread