Can I Transfer 32-bit XP to 64-bit Laptop? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Can I Transfer 32-bit XP to 64-bit Laptop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Because you don't actually own it - you are licensing it (basically renting it, for all intents and purposes). That's why you have a license to the software, but you don't actually own the software.
What I meant is you own the license (not software), its solely yours no else has permission to use it.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2D__ View Post
What I meant is you own the license (not software), its solely yours no else has permission to use it.
Yes it maybe your own oem key that came with the computer but you'll have issues if your transfering it to a different or newer machine.
The product key originates from MS but the manufacturers are owners to them.

If you try to activate a dell oem key on a hp it'll fail and ms will have a record of the activations.

If you own your own oem key from newegg you may transfer if the machine failed.
MS automated will ask you or the customer service rep will check to make sure your not trying to get over on them.

-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RockMan- View Post
Yes it maybe your own oem key that came with the computer but you'll have issues if your transfering it to a different or newer machine.
The product key originates from MS but the manufacturers are owners to them.

If you try to activate a dell oem key on a hp it'll fail and ms will have a record of the activations.

MS automated will ask you or the customer service rep will check to make sure your not trying to get over on them.
Ive never ever had an issue transferring my keys to other PCs/laptops, though they have all been HP besides one.

I have so many keys and always use them on spare laptops I have and never have had any issues. tbh I can give him a key if he wants it.

I just got two spare XP keys the other day but dont use them of course
Old 02-02-2015, 10:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
OEM keys are supposed to be tied to the motherboard, if the board fails or has to be replaced, your supposed to buy a new oem license.

Retail keys are transferable, if your pc dies and you discard it you are allowed to transfer the license to a newer pc.

Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Just to clarify this bit.

Like I previously said, that's technically against the TOS. OEM licenses are technically tied to 1 board-1 activation. If you get a new motherboard/CPU, you're supposed to buy a new license since you already used up that activation. But...like I said..there's ways around that - but again, are against the TOS/EULA for OEM licenses.

Edit: Ninja'd by Joe. Damn you.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I read somewhere a while back that M$ only keeps records of their XP activations for 120 days. There were just too many to keep track of so they limited the time frame. If you used a OEM key on one pc and waited 4 months, technically, you could use that same key again and it would pass activation.
I do not know how M$ handles activations for anything after XP
Old 02-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
I read somewhere a while back that M$ only keeps records of their XP activations for 120 days. There were just too many to keep track of so they limited the time frame. If you used a OEM key on one pc and waited 4 months, technically, you could use that same key again and it would pass activation.
I do not know how M$ handles activations for anything after XP
Don't think that's true.

I remember having to reinstall people's OEM XP machines, and when I used a regular OEM disc (and not the manufacturer provided disc), the activation wouldn't go through online and I had to call in every time. And they hadn't reinstalled their OS since they had bought the computer. When you call in, the automated system will ask how many systems you've installed this license on, and I would just say "1" and it would go through and I'd have to enter in the override code they read back for activation.

Same deal for Vista and up as well.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2D__ View Post
Ive never ever had an issue transferring my keys to other PCs/laptops, though they have all been HP besides one.

I have so many keys and always use them on spare laptops I have and never have had any issues. tbh I can give him a key if he wants it.

I just got two spare XP keys the other day but dont use them of course
Heh well if you like learn the activation process by ms.
Trial and error helps it'll give you a better understanding of what some other know it all says online. :/

XP, vista 7 and even 8 if your unsure of something ask microsoft themselves.
They have a online chat, whatever you do with those keys make sure you stay in the right and abide by ms.
Also there are some good microsoft sites then this forum who will clear up any questions or concerns you got for ms products.

If they say yes for activation, listen to what they tell you, if they so no have them explain why and abide by them.

Problem solved.
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Heh well if you like learn the activation process by ms.
Trial and error helps it'll give you a better understanding of what some other know it all says online. :/

XP, vista 7 and even 8 if your unsure of something ask microsoft themselves.
They have a online chat, whatever you do with those keys make sure you stay in the right and abide by ms.
Also there are some good microsoft sites then this forum who will clear up any questions or concerns you got for ms products.

If they say yes for activation, listen to what they tell you, if they so no have them explain why and abide by them.

Problem solved.
I dont understand what you are trying to tell me? was this post aimed at the OP?
Old 02-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Don't think that's true.

I remember having to reinstall people's OEM XP machines, and when I used a regular OEM disc (and not the manufacturer provided disc), the activation wouldn't go through online and I had to call in every time. And they hadn't reinstalled their OS since they had bought the computer. When you call in, the automated system will ask how many systems you've installed this license on, and I would just say "1" and it would go through and I'd have to enter in the override code they read back for activation.

Same deal for Vista and up as well.
OEM pc's have two keys.
One key that they use as a generic for multiple installations on a mass scale (for production) and the key the on the OEM's COA sticker. Use the coa sticker key and you shouldn't have to call MS for activation