Can I Transfer 32-bit XP to 64-bit Laptop? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2015, 02:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Can I Transfer 32-bit XP to 64-bit Laptop?

I got a 10 year old Gateway M210 laptop thats 32 bit with an IDE hard drive with XP. I want to buy the newer Sony Vaio Flip model# SVF15N17CXB thats Win 8, 64 bit and has a SATA drive. Is it possible to copy the o/s from the IDE drive to the SATA drive so it boots to XP? Will there be any issues?

koolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Default Re: Can I Transfer 32-bit XP to 64-bit Laptop?

No. You can not.
Firstly. Licensing. The Windows Xp on the gateway m210 is OEM. It came with your old PC, It's dies with your old PC.
Secondly. Support. Sony is every unlikely to be posting drivers up for Windows 7, lets alone Windows Xp. Microsoft is not even supporting Windows Xp.

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
No. You can not.
Firstly. Licensing. The Windows Xp on the gateway m210 is OEM. It came with your old PC, It's dies with your old PC.
Secondly. Support. Sony is every unlikely to be posting drivers up for Windows 7, lets alone Windows Xp. Microsoft is not even supporting Windows Xp.
Hi Harper. Thank you for clearing that up. FYI, I just want to get an apolication from my old IDE HDD and get it to work in Win 8. The application is Opera browser. Do you think its possible when I connect the IDE HDD to a computer and open up the files to copy these Opera files to the Win 8 computer and install Opera in it? The Opera application is 32-bit, btw.

Its important that I do this since I've worked many months to get my Opera browser configured to my personal settings. If I install a fresh new Opera browser, I'd have to start again from scratch.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

You can try this plug-in for your Opera Browser
Opera Backup Plugin
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolx View Post
Hi Harper. Thank you for clearing that up. FYI, I just want to get an apolication from my old IDE HDD and get it to work in Win 8. The application is Opera browser. Do you think its possible when I connect the IDE HDD to a computer and open up the files to copy these Opera files to the Win 8 computer and install Opera in it? The Opera application is 32-bit, btw.

Its important that I do this since I've worked many months to get my Opera browser configured to my personal settings. If I install a fresh new Opera browser, I'd have to start again from scratch.
You can copy over the entire profile actually, which will contain your settings and all.

Opera Browser Wiki :: How to Simply Backup and Restore All of Opera's Settings

I've done similar things with transferring Chrome and FireFox settings to new systems. Keep in mind you'll still have to download/install Opera on the new system..but you can just copy that folder in the link I provided, and place it in the appropriate directory on your new computer (should be the same folder as the Vista/Win7 instructions in the link).

Also...as for 32bit vs 64bit compatibility stuff.... 64bit can run 32bit applications just fine. 64bit CPU's can run 32bit OS's as well. 64bit is just unable to run 16bit applications/OS's without emulation (which you'll only encounter if you run DOS applications).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

YES you can install XP on the new sony Vaio. It is very easy to extract the OEM XP cd-key from your old machine even if its OEM.. I do it all the time "for educational purposes " using hiren boot cd.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2D__ View Post
YES you can install XP on the new sony Vaio. It is very easy to extract the OEM XP cd-key from your old machine even if its OEM.. I do it all the time "for educational purposes " using hiren boot cd.
The points Harper made still stand.

You'd have to see if there's even drivers available for XP for that model from Sony...and if not from Sony, from the actual hardware component manufacturers.

Also, it's technically against the TOS to transfer the OEM license (though can be done).

Either way...it's time to get off of XP - XP is not supported by Microsoft anymore and should be moved away from.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 01-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
The points Harper made still stand.

You'd have to see if there's even drivers available for XP for that model from Sony...and if not from Sony, from the actual hardware component manufacturers.

Also, it's technically against the TOS to transfer the OEM license (though can be done).

Either way...it's time to get off of XP - XP is not supported by Microsoft anymore and should be moved away from.
"Technically it can be done" and as you own it why not?.. but, "legally its against the TOS".

And I am pretty much confident 80% that there will be the required drivers available (doing some digging if needed) but yeah like carnage said XP is so pointless to have ... I only use mini XP when I run diagnostics.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2D__ View Post
"Technically it can be done" and as you own it why not?.. but, "legally its against the TOS".
Because you don't actually own it - you are licensing it (basically renting it, for all intents and purposes). That's why you have a license to the software, but you don't actually own the software.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
You can try this plug-in for your Opera Browser
Opera Backup Plugin
Appreciate it but I can use that backup ftom the link because my laptop died. Thats why I need to copy Opera files from my IDE HDD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
You can copy over the entire profile actually, which will contain your settings and all.

Opera Browser Wiki :: How to Simply Backup and Restore All of Opera's Settings

I've done similar things with transferring Chrome and FireFox settings to new systems. Keep in mind you'll still have to download/install Opera on the new system..but you can just copy that folder in the link I provided, and place it in the appropriate directory on your new computer (should be the same folder as the Vista/Win7 instructions in the link).
So all I need to do is copy the old Opera files from the IDE HDD. Then download and install Opera. Then I replace the files from the newly installed Opera with the old files from my IDE HDD?

If thats possible, can I do the same thing with Word and Excel? I got Word amd Excel applications on my IDE HDD. They got personalized settings from VBA code that I highly need. If this is possible, what files do I need to copy?